Tube dampeners on ARC gear ... FREE TWEAK

Here's a cheap (free) tweak for owners of ARC gear using the black tube dampeners. If you move both dampeners as far up toward the top of the tube as possible without having the top one fall off, taking care that both dampeners are solidly touching each other, you will get better dynamics, bass, mids, highs and a lower noise floor. Try it ... you'll like it.
128x128oregonpapa
nkonbor ...

As audiophiles we live for those "Wow" moments. It just keeps me wondering with every improvement I make how much more information is hidden way down in those record grooves and digital bytes.   
Very very interesting stuff indeed
I wonder whether Herbies would make any significant improvement on the lone 6922 in my arc ls2?
Looks like about $29, not a lot of money tbh
Was considering fuses but $119 for a sr black.....ouch.
Hi Oregonpapa. How high on the 6h30 tube should the Herbies be placed?  1/8"
from top of tube or all the way up?  

All the best. 
Hi, oddeophile ...

According to the directions that come along with the Herbies dampeners, they should be placed about a third of the way down the tube. That's what I did, and it worked very well. 

Frank

Hi Frank

So you didn't follow the all the way up to the top of the tube placement like the ARC rings?  Did you try them there?

FWIW on all the RX rings I have in my system I've never found the 1/3 placement to be optimum. On my amp on all four 12AX7s exactly one and a half inches from
the bottom of the tube which is almost to the top of the 12AX7. On all 12 KT77 tubes right at the getters and same with the 6550 tubes in my Ref 40. 
ARC recommends damping placement all the way to the top of the 6H30 tubes. I've not put the Herbies I have had now for well over a year on my 6H30 tubes mainly due to my disability. 
FWIW You might try the top of the tube placement and see if you have improved sonics with your RX dampers there. The 1/3 placement is just a starting point Herbies recommends. The vast majority find differing placements are superior. 
Just thoughts. 
All the best
Richard