Electrical Panel Grounding

Beyond electrical code requirements, why does the sub panel earth ground, with its own earth ground, need to be tied to the main electrical panel ground?
wgutz
Earth "grounds" at different physical locations can have several volts of difference in potential. Depends on lots of factors. Only way to ensure it is at 0 Volts relative to AC is to tie them together. :)

Also, important, while you may have multiple grounds tied together, and even loop them, you may ONLY tie the neutral and ground together at one place, the service entrance. The service panel does not necessarily equal main. :)
So, the plan was to put a half dozen copper clad ground rods outside in the earth and run 6 separate ground leads to the sub panel. This should allow for an easier electrical noise pathway by lowering potential. If I connect this ground field back to the service panel, then I will connect with the noise from other home electrical devices, such as dimmers, etc. What I'm reading above is that 1) A separate ground field may cause breakers to not activate correctly and 2) cause a differential neutral voltage. I'm not clear on why multiple ground fields only makes sense for a separate building.

The sub panel powers primarily the stereo, but my neighborhood electrical is really noisy until about 10 PM. I do use PS Audio power regenerators, one on the front end and one on the amps. But they can't handle all the noise. 

So, does anyone have a different opinion on what appears to be good advice above? And I do appreciate you guys taking the time to try and teach me some power grounding fundamentals. But I am a slow learner.
Wguts, none of this is necessary nor will it improve anything.

What matters is that it all be referenced to a single point, where the neutral is bonded to it. Putting in a single, or 20 ground rods won’t help this at all.  Follow the NEC, and local codes which may now require 2 rods.

I’d focus on your room acoustics. :)

The point of the ground is to act as an earth safety, which it can only do well if bonded to the neutral at 1 location.

Now if you want to run isolated grounds from the panel, that's fine.

Thanks Eric:

As an audiophile, we have had success in the past with using a ground field (multiple ground rods). My associates include a satellite engineer who made the original suggestion. I believe I have a audiophile grade system. I am using Sounlab U-2 electrostatics driven by 6C33C power tubes.

Since you brought up room treatments, I work on this every weekend. One question you may know the answer to is regarding 2" square wood block diffusion panels. While using longer pieces of 4" and 5" I understand this will increase the octaves covered over 1", 2" & 3". But what discernible sound effect would this have? it sounds to me as is there is some additional blurring in the mid-range.My focus is to tame some high frequency hardness.
High frequency hardness can be caused by local RF affecting signal via unshielded ICs and speaker cable (think Kimber, Nordost).