Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi All!!!!

Wow, it’s been a while. But I finally have some new material to report. I have been using my Emm Labs Statement DA2 since I sent my ODSE off to get upgraded to the ODSX. I finally got the ODSX back last week and I am burning it in.

It looks the exact same except for a different name on the faceplate, and a cubic Zirc diamond on the volume knob. But the USB port is gone and an Ethernet Renderer is now there. I have to honestly say that the Ethernet Renderer is the way of the future and every single DAC should now come with one. The computer acts as the music server and everything is nicely packetized from server to Renderer and run IS2 straight to the DAC board. 

So several new questions and comparisons have come up with the ODSX now here. The first and most obvious is to compare the ODSX with the DA2, each using their best source. I plan on borrowing a neighbors Aurender N10 and doing just that in a few weeks when the ODSX is fully burned in. ODSX with Ethernet Renderer fed by my purpose built Mac Mini running JRiver vs the Emm DA2 fed by the N10 via single ended digital XLR (its best input). That will give huge information! THEN I want to be thorough and compare my Mac Mini running JRiver to a PC running JRiver to see if there is a difference between them. THEN I want to compare the ODSX with Renderer to the Emm DA2 using a Sonore Renderer to compare the exact same source with the two DAC’s.

Finally I need to compare my current wired Ethernet to an optic Ethernet to see if there is an improvement.

Stay tuned. Lots of information coming!!!!

Matt, as you know I'm setting up my optic Ethernet network in the next couple of weeks also.  I want to come down in May (booked in April with Juice Plus convention and a trip to see my daughter in the collegiate national finals cheer comp) and I'll bring my Mac Mini server that I got from Steve.  Honestly, I think it's better sounding than the Aurender or even the Antipodes that I heard.  Steve may feel differently, but this server is a killer.  I just need to get a Melco used as a NAS to store and rip my music.  I agree that so far anything I've fed my Ayre QX5 via ethernet is the best sounding.  I've heard the optical ethernet vs straight ethernet in a store a few months ago and was blown away by the subtle differences.  They are small, but big at the same time as the noise floor was lowered and allowed more of the recording to come through.  Yes, lot's of info.  Let's also plan and visiting Lavorgna at his barn.  I have an invite and it would be a blast!  Call when you get a free moment.  
thanks for the update. I'm now waiting for the upgrade to my Resolution Audio Cantata DAC that seems to be scheduled for this summer before I think of chaning source. The speakers that have been played with here, however, do interest me.
Will await the updates.
This is the thread that convinced me to purchase the QX 5 unheard, while I cant chime in on the different dac,s  being currently discussed I can chime in on the optical ethernet vs straight ethernet or USB and yes the optical ethernet gives a much better portrait of the music in dynamics, soundstage, detail and air. I with back and fourth lately between USB and optic for the fact Im burning in a new preamp and its running 24/7 so during the night time I switch to the USB and when I switch back to the optical ethernet thier is a clear difference in those areas especially transparency. There is also a difference in volume levels between the two in my set up with the ethernet being a few db louder.

I feel the difference in straight ethernet vs optical is in the midrange on up, a tad more transparency and natural timber, bass is fantastic in both.

I've been using ethernet via DLNA for years.  Never bothered with USB and PC in my sound system ...  

Have you guys tried running MinimServer in a NAS drive so PC is not necessary to play music?