Need help making TV decision

I'm looking to replace my ancient Proton 27" CRT with something new. I've poked around AVS forum and CNET but still feel confused and underinformed. Would welcome advice here and pointers to other sources of information.

Here's our situation:

-- Can accomodate up to 40"-42" wide display
-- Use Comcast digital cable box through TiVo box as main source; also DVD
-- TV (not DVD) probably 80% of viewing
-- Viewing distance is about 8 feet
-- Can accomodate the depth of a CRT or rear projection, but a flat panel would be just fine (will sit atop 40" AV cart)
-- Don't need built-in audio as I route audio signals through an AV receiver
-- Price not too much of an issue

So....LCD, Plasma, DLP or CRT? HD or ED? One of my main fears is that I will get a set that kills on DVD or HD but leaves me unhappy when I watch an old movie or a Seinfeld rerun or any non-HD TV program. There's also the issue of our addiction to TiVo and the absence of an HD TiVo box for digital cable (as far as I know).

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Semi and Dynnut, would you pick plasma over a 36" HD CRT assuming you had space for a CRT?
Tvad,

Although a good concept, the 30" Samsung Slim-Fit TV has horrible geometry issues that I don't think can be corrected. I really wanted to buy that set, but after viewing 10-15 sets in different stores, it became apparent that the set is "not ready for prime time".

Drubin,

For me the choice was simple: My Plasma got me nearly 2 extra feet further back from my set which optimized the viewing distance at about 7 1/2" feet for a 42" Plasma. The 36" CTR that it replaced was only about 5 1/2 or 6 feet viewing distance, which was too close for my taste. The 42" Plasma is mounted on the wall and I gained viewing distance and space in the room by removing the 25" deep CRT.

Also, I don't think any 36" CRTs are 16X9. I think you have to go with a 34" CRT for the 16X9 aspect ratio. So, when you watch in widescreen, your picture is pretty small when compared to a 42" Plasma.

Lastly, I have Time Warner Cable and I have their HD STB with built in DVR. The DVR is high-def and I love it!

Enjoy,

TIC
Post removed 
I have a question for you Videophiles. What plasma's don't pixelate, for a lack of better term, with a HD feed when there are fast moving scenes? Pretty much all of the plasmas that I have looked at in the past do this. When the picture slow or still it is incredible. Thanks in advance for your answers.