Most Important, Unloved Cable...

Ethernet. I used to say the power cord was the most unloved, but important cable. Now, I update that assessment to the Ethernet cable. Review work forthcoming. 

I can't wait to invite my newer friend who is an engineer who was involved with the construction of Fermilab, the National Accelerator Lab, to hear this! Previously he was an overt mocker; no longer. He decided to try comparing cables and had his mind changed. That's not uncommon, as many of you former skeptics know. :)

I had my biggest doubts about the Ethernet cable. But, I was wrong - SO wrong! I'm so happy I made the decision years ago that I would try things rather than simply flip a coin mentally and decide without experience. It has made all the difference in quality of systems and my enjoyment of them. Reminder; I settled the matter of efficacy of cables years before becoming a reviewer and with my own money, so my enthusiasm for them does not spring from reviewing. Reviewing has allowed me to more fully explore their potential.  

I find fascinating the cognitive dissonance that exists between the skeptical mind in regard to cables and the real world results which can be obtained with them. I'm still shaking my head at this result... profoundly unexpected results way beyond expectation. Anyone who would need an ABX for this should exit the hobby and take up gun shooting, because your hearing would be for crap.  
douglas_schroeder
BTW, I am well aware of the revolting cost structure of such cables. If they were not proportionately outrageously efficacious I would not recommend them, nor use them. 

Doug I read your Teo cables review, Thad to me is Passion, can't get better than that.
Thanks, Doug.

Those reading this thread may wish to also read a series of posts beginning around 2-16-2012 in the following thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/shielding-components-from-emi-rfi-help-please

Member Bryoncunningham, who IMO is an especially astute and perceptive listener, and is very thorough in his evaluations, described realizing a substantial sonic improvement by changing from a garden variety unshielded ethernet cable to an **inexpensive** shielded type. I described some technical effects which may have accounted for that.

Also, this thread will be of interest:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/are-my-cat5-and-router-my-weak-link

A comment Bryon made on 8-7-2012 in the latter thread:

I can confirm what Al has reported about my experiences when I replaced an unshielded Cat 5 cable with a shielded Cat 6 cable. The result was more resolution. A lot more.

The $7 shielded Cat 6 cable resulted in a bigger improvement in SQ than several $1,000 power cords and several $2,000 interconnects. Yes, I know that sounds crazy. I can’t explain it.

I’m not saying that other systems will benefit similarly. In fact, I doubt it. But it’s certainly an affordable experiment.
As I’ve said in a number of past threads, the existence of differences does not necessarily mean that more expensive = better results.

Regards,
-- Al

AL , I totally agree with you it does not mean more expensive better result... my background as an audiophile ,I read a lot of posting here, in the past I read magazine like stereophile , absolute sound. But like you said B Cunningham is a perceptive listener, I would assume he has good train ear? And he knows what He is doing...My biggest blessings I met two brothers who also have a good ears, they are as well perceptive listener , their systems are both musical, and very involving, their systems are  both less than 20k systems, Everything they teach me , I can hear it from their systems, AL ,read my thread Titled Good things happen when you don't expect it...I am very surprise how those cheap cables did it...Doug said on one of his post ,the most important component is the Audiophile...100% true, AL matching between cables and component as well..,,