Are there any $1500 tube preamps that that can compare with Tubes4hifi's SP14?

Reviews on the Tubes4hifi's SP14 are consistently positive and so many people are blown away by them.  I haven't heard one but I want one. I want to upgrade and would like to know if there other ones that can hold up against the SP14 at the $1500 price point. 
amritash
You might want to check out Brown Audio Labs.  I currently have Denny's SP-2B model which uses 9 pin tuned plus has a ballance control.  It is very good.  A few years ago I had an Audio Research SP8 which was beautiful ounding but had very little base reproduction.  It was restored by Audio Research themself with ne tubes.  My Brown Audio Labs model is truly exceptional for the money.  Plus it's phono section is it's best festure by fsr.  Oh yes, it cost me only $1194, which included shipping.
harrylavo is most likely referring to the Music Reference (rather than Musical Reference) RM-9 amplifier, a very-well regarded EL34 based amp. Roger Modjeski of Music Reference is making custom pre-amps now, so you might want to check with him to see what he's offering.
Hello, amritash. 

My first tube preamp was an Audio by Van Alstine T-8. I thought it was pretty awesome until I heard Don Sachs's SP14/Model 2 preamp. 

I know guys who are satisfied with their T-8 preamps. AVA now has a new tube preamp for under $1000, but I have not heard it. Perhaps it can satisfy you; perhaps not. 

I am a proud owner of the D Sachs Model 2. I upgraded just about everything possible, so my final cost was nearly double your $1500. However, this isn't necessary. You can easily begin with his base model and upgrade as you wish or are able to. 

The soundstage is wide and deep. Instruments and voices are crystal clear. 

I'm pretty confident that this will be my last preamp upgrade. 

Enjoy your journey!

Michael

Anything from Quicksilver. One of the best values on the market with incredible sound.
Hi
Don Sachs here.  I am not trying to sell anyone anything and don't want to violate any of those sorts of rules so I will give my opinion.  I have built and sold over 40 custom preamps built around the sp-14 board.  My opinion is that if you take that board and use really good parts, wire, and attenuators you get a preamp that will compete with anything I have ever heard at any price. You cannot do it for $1500 though.  More like $1800-$2200 depending on the case, cap and tube choices.  It will run circles around a stock sp14, which is already a great bargain and wonderful preamp.  That said, that extra $300-$700 is money well spent and will give you easily a 20-30% improvement.  I have my own opinions on coupling caps and have heard many.  The beauty of the sp14 is that there is really only one coupling cap and that is on the output.  The rest is direct coupled except for the small cap on the Akido buffer and a decent cap is all you need there. The preamp should be tailored to match the rest of the system.  Impedance matching is important.  I have built passive preamps with very good attenuators and my opinion is they are nice, but a good tube preamp makes the music just leap out of the speakers in a way no passive preamp I have ever heard can.  I have a number of customers who went from passives to an active tube preamp based on octal tubes and never went back.

Also, I have probably worked on 1000 pieces of audio gear in the past decade, both vintage restorations and lots of custom builds.  I have my opinions on which resistor types sound best where, what caps to use where, etc... Everyone has their taste.  What I can say is that I prefer the 6SN7 and other octal tubes in a preamp over ANY of small 12A*7 types I have ever heard.

Good luck to all and happy listening.

cheers,
Don