HT pre-amp/proccessor advise.

I currently use an Outlaw Model-950, but am considering upgrading. I'm looking for the best audio performance I can get for two channel stereo, multichannel SACD, DD/DTS. Video performance is not really inportant as I run my video direct to my TV. It would also be nice if the processor had crossover filters for 5.1 analog inputs. I have a tight budget of $1500 and will probably have to buy used. Any recommendations?
jack_dotson
The Pre-2 DSP is a really great processor. It may not do all of the whiz-bang things that Sony's and the like will do but it does do what it was designed to do very well. My only gripe is that the remote absolutely sucks. This can be amended with a $35 Sony learning remote. After the thing is set up properly all you need is the ability to switch inputs and change the volume.

Good luck!
I guess the only further information I could give concerning the Pre-2 DSP would be to again point out that the pre-amp portion is top notch. Forget the processing for a moment. It does audio VERY well! The sound is natural and very detailed - it has almost a "tube-like" characteristic. It is not cold or analytical like so many "all-digital" pre-amps can be.
You will get many recommendation in this price range and several will be everything they are made out to be. In the end it will be what works best for you.
For what it's worth, I can tell you that I auditioned only 2 preamps - mainly because switching them out was a pain in the A@#! - I rolled the dice on the AR never having heard it or owned any other AR gear. It was a fortunate (lucky) move on my part as it is the best peramp I have ever owned!
PLII is available on the Pre-2 DSP. I don't know that this would be a selling point but it is another stinsled logo that can adorn the faceplate. But if we were looking to maximize our processors logo bearing potentiality we would all have Sony's.

What I have found the Pre-2DSP to provide is a minimilistic approach to surround sound while maintaining the integrity of the two channel playback. If you have a very large room that could possibly benefit from 6 or 7 channel surround sound this may not be the processor for you.

In your price range there is a nice processor from NAD that does a good job, has very intuitive set-up menu and is just plain easy to use. It is not going to touch the AR in sound quality though.

Good luck!
Thanks to everyone for your advise. I'm still looking, but can take my time. I actually found a problem with my system that was causing some issues. Somehow I developed the dreaded ground loop hum. The only time it was a real problem was when the volume was way up, which doesn't happen that often these days, and when using analog inputs. However, I finally cured it and guess what, that little hum is more than just a hum. Better picture on my TV and much better sound. That little buzz was actually masking allot of the details, even at low volumes. I never realized how much this problem effected the auido and video in my system. I put a ISO-MAX JT VRD-1FF on the cable input and now all is well. Lesson learned.