A Big DIY Bang for Your Buck?

I believe in getting the biggest bang out of my audio buck that I can. I don't know about you but my audio budget is actually limited. I find it interesting when I hear about folks spending a zillion on the best magnetic cables and then someone comes along with some new cable technology like new liquid-infused cables that equal or best the magnetic cables at a fraction of the price. Some makers of magnetic and other cables may want you to believe that a patent pending means there must be something there that ordinary Joe Audio could never make himself. My experience leads me to say -- don't believe it.

I have been using neodymium magnets for years in my cables and around my system to improve SQ -- at a fraction of the cost that makers of magnet-containing products charge. OK, mine may not be at the very top of the performance chain when compared to those expensive products, but who cares? I have managed to get stunning returns for a pittance. It would have cost thousands, or tens of thousands, to obtain similar results from various makers.

The same applies to audio makers with a patent pending (or an actual patent) who market little aluminum audio resonators the size of pimples. I make my own resonator pimples for about a buck apiece -- with stunning results. I saved over $4,000 making 70 of my own. Maybe they are not at the very top of the performance chain compared to those expensive products, but who cares? I am very happy with results that are far beyond what I expected when I started out.

I am having a lot of fun doing DIY projects at home that reap wonderful results at a small fraction of the cost charged by audio makers for their similar products. Have others had similar experiences making their own audio products at home? Can you share your DIY experiences with us?
sabai
knghifi and stringreen,

I use neodymium magnets in various ways. They do great things on the QOL. I have a packet of 12 on each side of the QOL face plate. I have my DAC and transport stacked with a packet of 12 right between them. I recently put a packet of 12 on top of my breaker and another packet of 12 on top of of the AC outlet that is right on top of the breaker -- like a sandwich. The effect is amazing.

There are so many ways to experiment with neodymium magnets. Most placements have not given good results. So, you may need to do a lot of experimenting to see what works for you. All I can say is that this is one of the least expensive and most effective ways that I have found to improve SQ. I have been working at this actively for over 10 years. This takes patience but the potential rewards are well worth the effort. The improvements have not been subtle.
I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I have been using magnets for audio applications for almost 20 years. I have at least four products that incorporate magnets in their design, one of those products is what, ten years old. Magnets actually don’t have to be very powerful to have a powerful effect. Ceramic magnets are OK. It’s all about the colors and where they go. Everything you know about magnets and audio is wrong. 😄 Magnets are one of things that signal something lying underneath, something big. Perhaps a big can of worms! 😬
Disclosure: I am not associated with any audio company and I am not using this forum to promote any products from any audio company or any audio-related company.

My experience has shown that neodymium magnets sometimes work much better in packets than singly, and that their color has no bearing on their sonic effects.

Thankfully, I have not fallen off any trucks in the past 20 years.
I will use two specific examples from my system to illustrate my point. I have used single neodymium magnets (N50) at the breaker (as per the above posting) and on the QOL (as per the above posting). In neither case was the effect with a single neodymium magnet even close to the effect with 12 neodymium magnets.
In fact magnetism, generally speaking, is very bad for the sound. Having electron tubes in proximity to large transformers is not good for the sound. Having any electronic elements or wiring in proximity to large transformers is bad for the sound. Even the induced magnetic field in is bad for the sound. In fact, the whole point of SHIELDING transformers is to REDUCE magnetic fields around ANYTHING carringly the audio signal and in some cases the chassis. My thesis, which was selected to be presented at the national AIAA conference, was on the dodgy subject of bombarding highly magnetized metal with high energy ions to produce low thrust for an engine to be used for interplanetary travel.