$5,000 to spend for analog front end - advice please...:)

Long-time audiophile who has not touched analog for ~15 years... thinking of getting back in.

Reading about current choices in analog gear makes my eyes glaze over... info overload...

Last rig circa 2000 was Ariston RD11/Black Widow/Grace F9E into CJ pre/ARC power and Maggies. Remember that table was quite touchy... but had moments of brilliance. Remember VTA was super important, but was hard to get right. Also remember edge warping on some records was a major PITA.

Now have Modwright/Sony tube CDP to CJ ET5 to ARC VT50 to ProAc D30R/Rel sub for lowest octave support -- a good, reasonable, high res system without going overboard. Jazz and vocals listener, discerning ear for detail, body and PRAT, don’t like to tweak too much, just want to re-enjoy my LP collection which has been dormant/stored for years in addition to my CD’s.

Thinking roughly $5,000 would be a good number to throw at a fresh analog front end. That would need to include the phono stage as my CJ is a line stage...

VPI, SOTA, ClearAudio, Rega, Project... not sure where to turn, plus new names like Lehmann, Shelter, Soundsmith. Would prefer a relatively turn key system -- can handle follow-the-instructions set-up just fine but don’t want to get into endless fussing. Don’t want to do another Linn/Ariston. Something easier and more consistent.

Don’t think $5K will get me into a real low output MC rig given cost of proper amplification, even with solid state head amp. Also seeing the very cool Thorens retro-updates by Vinyl Nirvana... can those really perform like the modern stuff?

Reading no-brainers tables are VPI Scout or bundled Project tables... not sure about arms and cartridges. Prefer a classic TT look, no thanks to Michell Gyrodecks or giant air pumps or huge acrylic monstrosities... :)

New/demo or used from A-gon? Used VPI Classic or Aries?

Thoughts appreciated from those who are current and in the know. Thanks.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
thanks alpha_gt

okki nokki rcm on its way, along with proper record sleeves :)
i second Audiotroy's recommendation above of the Rega RP8/Apheta 2/Aria. can't imagine doing better with less fuss.
You're welcome jjss49, be prepared to be wowed!  Old records do not wear out, they only get dirty. I've got records I've owned for 40 years, thought they were worn out, but a thorough cleaning and suddenly they are new again! Jaw dropping improvements. I've heard that even new records can use a cleaning because of mold release compound from the pressing machine. 

Another accessory I love is my Zerodust. Or what I affectionately call a, "Booger in a box".  I found one on eBay for much less, like $35. And it is the best way to keep the stylus clean. Just touch it to the tip. And you're done! Genius, so simple, no liquids, or brushes, very easy on the tip, and can be washed so it lasts forever. One of those new ideas that is truly better. There are so many accessories for vinyl playback these days, one could spend a small fortune trying them all, most lay on a shelf somewhere. This one lays next to the 'table, most used accessory next to my carbon fiber brush. 
I can build you a 2500-4k turntable that competes with 5 figure products. You mentioned "prat" a particular strength of my design due to its special low friction bearing Read Michael Fremers review of my "Alloy Convertible". Despite the glowing review this was an early table, a bit rushed for review and the new ones are much better!
Regards,
Bruce
Anvil Turntables

Thanks again to all responders. I have bought a lightly used, lovely VPI Classic 2 SE (thicker plinth, 10.5 JMW non 3D arm with VTA on fly) with a nice Koetsu black. Using a MS Nova Phonomena battery SS head amp for now, ARC PH3 SE on its way. Getting everything set up, adjusted, run in.

Immediate reactions compared to my Micro Seiki DD40/MA 505/AT 440MLB vintage budget rig --- brashness, brightness, giant stage replaced with bass solidity, subtlety, focus and zen calm. Interesting contrasts. Is it 2-3-4-5x better?.....no way, but it is easier and sweeter to listen to, if, I must add, at the loss of a bit of thrill/excitement... performance gap seems smaller on everyday, old commercial LP’s... bigger on audiophile LP’s with their quieter backgrounds/superior dynamics... I suppose obviously so...