What is the "best" cartridge a Technics 1210...

can handle when equipped with the more popular KAB mods(damper, rewire, power supply)? I am not an audiophile, and have really enjoyed the modestly priced Denon 110 on my player, but would still be interested to know what the possibilities are-Cheers
jmoog08
@chakster  Hi, there, thanks for the perfect reply.
I made the calculations, and actually it turned out that for the resonant point of view, the headshell should be even less than 6g, in order to match the perfect 10Hz resonant frequency.
But I also read that MC cartriges need higher mass headshells, for some reason.
Maybe the original technics headshell is perfect after all, but I will have to change its wires, because they are very basic. Also, I'm not sure about it's material, from another forum I read MC should Not be used with headshells that have anything metal on them. 

About Discovery Tonearm Wire .. Is this the best choice for technics stock arm? Or at least is it good enough for me, after all I'm not gonna use it with $1k+ cartriges after all. But it seem cheap, for such an important thing as the wires for the tonearm.

And one more question. I can hear the power supply when I turn maximum gain on anything. I know it's the power supply because when I turn off the turntable this low noise stops.. 
Will the achromat mat help to reduce it? Or maybe better feet?
I still don't want to touch the original technics power supply.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DL-103R-Cartridge
It looks like this cartrige makes perfect match with Technics stock tonearm, when used with 12gr headshells which are easier to find :)
Maybe I should rethink my choise, but from what I read 301 is more warm, which is something I really like... But actually I'm not sure because it is so subjective, does anyone listen to both cartriges (103R and 301 MK2) to tell what are there strengths and weaknesses.
@lordvampire
Discovery Tonearm Cable is great and not so expensive, for Technics tonearm you need 25cm, but it’s not easy to find, this cable is 4 wire (4 colour) is sold by the foot. You can buy from partsconnexion.com in Canada. I don’t know any other seller who can provide it. Discovery wire is more flexible than Cardas Tonearm Wire, which is widely available and a bit cheaper, but also good option for resonable price. If you want Cardas buy it from thebetteraudiocompany on ebay, they can also custom made headshell lead wires with pins for you from the same Cardas cable. My pair of 1210mk2 rewired with Cardas internally, but my external RCA phono cable is Zu Audio Mission. The 1210mk is not my main turntable, but it was fully upgraded long time ago, before i bought Sp10mk2.

I just ordered Discovery tonearm wire for my Lustre GST-801 tonearm as i wanted something better than Cardas. Another option is Audio Note silver tonearm wire, but this is very expensive.

Personally i don’t care about resonance frequency anymore: 8Hz or 10Hz or 11Hz it doesn’t really matter and anything from 7 to 12Hz is fine, you will not hear the difference!

Most of the MC cartridges are low or mid compliance, while the MM can be mid, high or very high compliance. Your technics was designed for MM cartridges, but mid compliance MC are OK to use too.

Headshell and screws should be non magnetic - that’s all.

The weight of the shell depends on the compliance of the cartridge, the lower the compliance the heavier headshell required on this arm. But when it’s too heavy it will be impossible to balance the tonearm even with small additional counterweight. This tonearm is not designed for heavy cartridge/headshell combination!

I don’t think you are hearing the power supply, the lower the signal on your MC the better shielded phono cable you need. In real life you will never use maximum gain. This is not a high-end turntable anyway, especially with MC cartridge, try it with MM instead for noise problem. I can’t remember any noise problems with MMs i’ve tried on my 1210mk2. I would never invest money for external power supply for this deck, it’s much better to buy another turntable if you want to know what technics is all about (try SP10mk2 with EPA-100 tonearm).

Look for SAEC SS-300 matt - this is the best!

I tried AT150mlx but it was too bright for me, on Ifi phono 2 with 100pf load. I changed the external wires with very good ones, so probably it's because I need to rewire the tonearm.