Recording quality...

A lot of time here is spent discussing equipment, which is to be expected.  But even the best gear will not mask a lousy recording.  Let's face it, some labels use better recording equipment, microphone placement, mixing and so on to create stunning sound.  Other labels just don't sound as good.  

Case in point...when I purchase a recording, I'm looking for a recording date within the last five years.  I realize that some classic recordings took place years ago recorded with analog equipment, but it will still sound old on anything modern you play it on.  I'm not a big fan of remastering either.  Look, I realize that we can't bring back Miles Davis or get Pink Floyd back together to do a modern recording, but imagine if we could.

Once, when I was a kid, I was lucky enough to witness a live recording session in a real studio.  This was in the late 60s, when real musicians played real instruments.  They used these gigantic Scully tape machines with inch-thick Ampex 456 tape running at fast speed and a mixing board, which was the most modern recording equipment of the time.  Today, that equipment belongs in a museum, considering the modern tools that recording engineers have now.  

My point here is that great equipment is nice, but paired with a recent recording using modern tools, the sound is so much better.  Just my humble opinion.  What say you to this?
128x128mikeydee
We could also take this discussion in a different direction...what is it about mixing, microphone placement, room acoustics, etc. that make for an amazing recording, regardless of time period?  

Those of us around in the late 70s remember Steely Dan's album "AJA" (recorded at Village Recorders in West LA).  It actually won a Grammy for best-engineered album.  The sound quality was amazing (I had it on vinyl).

Also, different studios to the trained ear sound different.  Those of you who love jazz remember the Blue Note sessions that Rudy Van Gelder recorded in Englewood Cliffs NJ.  You could tell it was his studio by the sound...his piano also had a distinctive sound to it.

Fast forward to the 90s and listen to the Natalie Cole album "Unforgettable"...give it a listen just for the amazing recording, even if you don't like the music.  This was recorded at the Capitol Rotunda in Hollywood, where Sinatra made all of his famous recordings in the 50s.  

And then there's Motown Studio A (I went to see it...now a museum) and let's not forget Sigma Sound, run by Joe Tarsia in Philly (which is now an office building...should have been preserved as a museum as well).  David Bowie came all the way to Philadelphia to record "Young Americans" at Sigma  because he loved the studio's sound.   

So, I get what a lot of you are saying.  My five-year window is robbing me of all of these studios which had a distinctive sound.  You can't get that aspect using Pro Tools or whatever else they use today. 
More and more I am getting convinced that a difference in recording quality is far more important than the difference in sound quality between high end components. In other words, you may spent thousands of dollars on upgrading your system, which would be a simple waste of time (and money) unless you have good  enough  quality recordings, whereas the difference in sound between a good and bad recordings is much more notable, no matter whether you use 1k, 2k, 5k or 10k or higher price amp or cd player (you still need good speakers though).  I think this is an important issue. 

As to the quality of the recordings, not always more recent recording have better quality, in general, and many analog recordings, especially classical ones, are better than more recent digital ones (counting good labels). Early (analog) Miles Davis recordings (late 50s and 60s) are far better than late 60s and 70s (analog) recordings, and even some of the 80s digital ones. For my taste, some late Pat Metheny recordings (2010 and above) are worse in quality than earlier ones (from 90s to, say, 2010). Early ELP recordings also sound better than later ones. I am curious why this happens (e.g., did Miles Davis himself did not note this  (by the way, he used 70s AR speakers)?)

Was just thinking of all of those classic albums that I've bought in every new or remastered or improved format hoping for and sometimes getting an even better aural image of music I've loved for years...Abbey Road, Aja, Child Is Father To The Man, lately the hi rez Pink Floyd remasters of Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, etc...and other than Steven Wilson's magic on Tull,Yes, XTC, Supertramp, King Crimson, etc, the majority of the versions that left me smiling were from very hi resolution rips from newly pressed high quality vinyl...not sure how your 5 year window applies given the provenance of the various versions but this is what comes to mind for me when I think of recording quality in general. Of course, the ECM releases, many of the old DG, Phillips, etc classical releases can be game changers in terms of sound quality as well...
With all do respect - Evidently you haven't listened to MFSL recording remaster on a decent stereo lately ( Maybe a try a DAC ) ! Have fun listening to your tape hiss and poor recording equipment of the past.
You know things will go bad when people start with "with all due respect..." because the "due respect" turns out to be very little indeed.

So, may I present in counterargument the MFSL recording of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Utter crap.

Best,

E