They Almost Never Quote A Price , Why?

Have you ever noted that most expensive audio gear web sites from manufacturer to retail stores withhold prices for most items.  I find this annoying, I can afford a certain level of expense but not any.  I know you can look for sales of used gear etc. etc. but I really want to see the regular retail price, it gives me something to think about or put money aside for. what are your thoughts abut this.
mechans

By the way, I have something "Panasonic" that I would rather repair than replace, and Panasonic told me they have shops within a lot of zip codes that do repair. I called the one near me, and got what I consider to be "normal" repair prices.
I've got a CJ preamp that needs repair, and CJ was too expensive, I contacted a repair shop in Canada that was going to repair it, and they told me CJ wanted to charge too much for the parts; their advice was to forget it.

Try Bob and Gary Backert at RHB Sound Dezign:

http://www.rhbsound.com/
There's also this-logging onto a website from, say, your work laptop that has different cookies etc than your smart phone often pulls up two different prices for the same item-Amazon is notorious for this. It is also well known that big box retailers charge more in affluent neighborhoods than poorer ones and even more in towns where they have no direct big box competition (Charltottesville Va has a Lowes but not a Home Depot for example). It is possible that said purveyors of high end items are waiting to see who you are and/or where you live before they quote a (more or less than list) price.
Price depends on how much the dealer thinks you will pay.  In this context, price is a variable.   If a price is quoted, then it becomes very easy to search online for a "deal" and the local B&M dealer may loose a sale.   Other than individual home listings, I see very few items of value that are advertised by price.  Watches, luxury cars, high end home materials, services etc are all advertised by unique features rather than price.   If product marketing leads with price, then the item is essentially perceived as a commodity with very little value added.   Commodities are sold by price, and the lowest price gets the sale.  Not a good business model if you are trying to differentiate your product in a crowded market.