Why does bi-amping speakers sound better?

Curious why it sounds better to bi amp speakers vs just running them off one amp?

i am trying to figure out which amp to buy, I am on the fence with bi amp or not.  Speakers are the old infinity kappa 8.1's.  Several years ago when I was married I bi amped my speakers so each speaker was seeing two channels from a parasound hca1500, I think that's the model.... 200w x 2 going to each speaker.  I also tried a single amp powering both speakers so each speaker was seeing 200w x 1.  

is it that I simply doubled the power that resulted in better sound, mostly noticed the low end of the speakers was tighter, more powerful etc.... and obviously I could also play louder.  

Or is is there something about letting one amp not work as hard due to only running high frequencies while the other amp gets to just work on the low end.  

I am 90% sure which brand of amp I want to get, just trying to figure out if I should bi amp or not.

as a example should I go with

two 2 channel amps at 400w x 2 so each speaker would get 400x2

or should I go with a single 800w stereo amp so each speaker sees the same 800w, just with one channel of a amp

128x128viggen900
the bass could only seem weak if the amp runs out of power - and that is less likely when bi-amping

monoblocks & bi-amping both are expensive as pointed out above - you need more transformers for the power supply

one driver, one amp is the ultimate design - you just have to create a cost- and SQ- effective realization

not that amps are a major determinant of SQ compared to speakers, room and source recordings anyway
Thanks for the input/options everyone... it has helped however I still can't decide :)

i am actually leaning towrds trying a class d amp from d sonic.  Debating mono block, stereo or multi channel.  I did visit a local audio shop yesterday, they mentioned they had a NAD 5 channel class D amp at $4k, Anthem 5 channel A/B at $5k and a McIntosh 7 channel A/B at $6,500.  I mentioned/asked about multi channel vs stereo/monoblock and his response was since I use a AVR (Integra DHC 80.3) that I wouldn't see any benefit from mono blocks or a 2 channel amp.  If I didn't use a AVR then yes monoblock or 2 Chanel amp is much better.  

I am leaning towards trying class D due to moving into a old home, built 1865 thus not the best electrically in the place.  I worry that if I go with and amp that's A/B that it wouldn't get the juice it needs.  One of these days when money is willing I will run 1-2 20A service to where the stereo stuff is but that's going to be a while.  

Yes, my 8.1's are rated around 300w, however for a really long time I have been one who likes having more power then less power.  I prefer my ears say no well before the amp or speakers say that's to loud! For whatever the reason I have always thought it just sounds better that way feeding more power.  I also hope to get a better old infinity speaker at some point.  Possibly just the kappa 9.1's or their renaissance 80/90 or preferably something from the IRS line.  Thus trying to think ahead so whatever I buy now will have enough oomph to power whatever I get next... which will be a few years down the road. 

IMHO, you should use the money you have to upgrade your electricity. It shouldn't take more than $1K, unless you live in a Victorian manision, them maybe a little more.
Has your current electrical system been renovated recently(10-20 years)? If not, then that may be a way to significantly upgrade the performance of your components, you'll also have piece of mind knowing you aren't overloading any circuits. You can also have the electrician put in a whole house surge protector.

Viggen - 

I'm currently running a D-Sonic that is a 7channel setup w/ both front speakers bi-amped and couldn't be happier.  As far as config, you can go with whatever you specify and remember, even in a 7 channel chassis, each amp is discrete as would be a mono.  

In my system, my speakers are hard to drive and go down to 2.7ohm so I'm running 2KW (4ohm) to each speaker (nautilus 800) and compared to lower-powered A/B amps I used previously the D-Sonic takes absolute control and drives these things as they were intended.

As for AC noise/ power, you obviously know already that class D amps inherently resolve that issue and this amp is 100% dead silent.  Once you get used to the fact that class D is a nonlinear pulse wave modulated architecture with incomparable immediacy (compared to class A or A/B) I think that you will be pleased.

If you end up going the D-Sonic route, my recommendation is to get the highest output modules that fit within your budget now so you can be sure that you never outgrow the amp if you ever decide to change out your speakers.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Take care

Greg
In bi-amping, each amplifier drives a less complicated load.  The drivers along with the crossover components have a complex impedance.  It consists of a real load and then the imaginary part  based on inductors and capacitors.  This complex load also varies depending on the frequency of the signal.  So if you have a 2 way speaker, the complete load a single amp will see is driver1+driver1 crossover+driver2+driver2 crossover.  This is a much more complex load that the amp sees vs just driver1+ driver1 crossover.