Have you ever tried a pair of speakers and said this Is the last thing I will ever need.

Hi Audiogoners have you you ever had a local dealer that is so pashonet about audio. That they let you bring in your system for fun and try a $10 000speakers. And you have been to every other local dealers shows and listened to $400 000 and above systems. And then tried a pair of speakers and had so much synergy with your budget system and said omg. This blows all other systems I heard for a fraction of the cost of most others? And have been always happy with that pair of speakers and your system for the rest of your life?

Please share your experience"
128x128jakecanada
Why should anybody ever step off the "merry go round?" I'm old…wait…*cough*…*snort*…and I sometimes change things simply from boredom or hey…CURIOSITY…I really hope I never get so old I no longer wonder about things like other sorts of speakers, or different tubes…or some new technology…that's just sad. 
Agree!!  Stay curious.  Whether it's your religious or political beliefs, technology, new music...whatever, remain open to new ideas and trying new things.  I too have been in this hobby for decades and remain fascinated with new products, new technology and the possibility of better sound in my listening room.  Having said that I can understand the frustration of the "merry-go-round".  There is a fine line between the joy of trying new equipment and the frustration of never feeling completely satisfied with your system.  Part of the fun of this hobby is the hunt.  Most changes I have made in my system were not the result of any perceived limitations of my system but were simply motivated by curiosity.  

I am not necessarily ready to "settle down" with my system but when I do the math  based upon my age and disposable income, I am running out of time and opportunities to turn over equipment.  For that reason, I am more focused on making right decisions.  I hope my recent purchase of a pair of Vandersteen Quatro speakers will offer me a degree of lasting musical enjoyment...but certainly there is not guarantee.   I do want to upgrade parts of the rest of my system to enhance and compliment the new speakers.  In the past when time was not an issue I do feel I was on a "merry-go-round", replacing parts of my system willy nilly with no particular end in sight.  Time is the enemy of us all...
Own and have owned many loudspeakers over the years, but once I found the Quad ESL57, my relentless audio "upgrading" and discussion about same more or less came to an end
you cannot deny the continued improvement in speakers over time

that doesn't mean you should change them frequently - I forget how long I kept my DCMs, but my Vandersteens' only lasted me 15 years.

Now, my maggies are just 20 years old but the newer ones give me the urge to upgrade