How do the Elac Uni-Fi UB5s compare to more expensive bookshelf speakers?

How do the Elac UB5s compare to other popular and well reviewed bookshelf speakers? How would they compare to the Kef ls50s or dynaudio excite x14s or some of the other well reviewed bookshelf speakers around the $1500 mark in Stereophile. I am tempted t get a pair of the Elacs in the slim finished cabinets for around $750 but I don't want to short myself.
128x128brimel1974
heard both Unify and LS50 at hifi shows; LS50 are better to my ears, but ELAC'S q/p ratio is higher.
to say it all, I may go for a Debut B5 which is even cheaper than Unify and sounds better to my ears (and many comments agree 'round here in Italy). that was really impressive for the price.
...that is: if your budget is 1500$, then you may have better choices (e.g. LS50 and so on); if your budget is 750$ but you're thinking of stretching it ("OK, after all, what if I don't eat and feed my familty for a month or two ?" just kiddin' :-D ), then I sould seriously consider ELAC if you only buy new.
...or a pre-owned LS50 otherwise ;-)

but what I mean is that I think you may be happy anyway with those ELAC's, though there are better speakers out there.
Plus, LS50’s are readily available used for around $1000. The UB5 is really built to a price point, using pretty crappy parts and cheap enclosures. Strictly a low-budget product.
LS50 is a very small sounding speaker.  The UB5 is somewhat more open sounding and has better bass.  

I think most people would be amazed if they had them side by side and compared volume matched (as I have).

LS50s are a very overrated product if you ask me.  Classic symptom of the Internet forum echo chambers (AVS Forum, etc) spreading too many good reviews from novice speaker buyers.

Just my opinion of course.