Pani ... New ART-9 up and running ...

The Cartridge arrived and I took it down to Studio City to Acoustic Image to have Eliot Midwood set it up properly. Eliot is the bomb when it comes to setting up the Well Tempered turn tables correctly.

http://www.acousticimage.com/

So, last night I had Mr. Golden Ears over to get his assessment as well. For a brand new cartridge that had zero hours on it ... all I can say is WOW! This is one naturally musical cartridge that doesn't break the bank. Its everything I liked about the OC9-mk III, but it goes far beyond the OC-9 in every respect.

In a previous post, I talked about the many mono records I own and how good the OC-9 was with the monos. Well, the ART-9 is on steroids. Just amazing on mono recordings.

At under $1100.00 from LP Tunes, its a bargain. The ART-9 surpasses all cartridges I've had in the system before. That would include Dynavectors, Benz, Grado Signatures and a Lyra Clavis that I dearly loved. In fact, its more musically correct than the Clavis. The Clavis was the champ at reproducing the piano correctly ... the ART-9 is equally as good in this area.

Sound stage, depth of image, left to right all there. Highs ... crystalline. Mids ... female and male voices are dead on. Transparency ... see through. Dynamics ... Wow! Low noise floor ... black. Mono records ... who needs stereo?

Your assessment that the ART-9 doesn't draw attention to itself is dead on. You just don't think about the cartridge at all. Not what its doing, or what its not doing ... its just beautiful music filling the room.

Thanks again Pani for the recommendation. I'll keep posting here as the cartridge continues to break in.
128x128oregonpapa
I have a great deal of respect for Joe Rasmussen and for Allen Wright before him.  It is ironic to note that Allen espoused the idea of using a 47K load on LOMC cartridges (which I too have found go be worth trying).  Now here we have Joe espousing a much different sort of heresy, in fact a more controversial one.  Frankly, it is a physical fact that using a 2K load on most MM cartridges, which typically have about 1000X more inductance than a typical MC, would result in a high frequency roll-off well within the normal range of human hearing and well below 20kHz.  So, if your MM cartridge has some really annoying hf characteristic that you would like to "damp" or tame, then maybe you'd like a 2K load.  Otherwise....NOT.  And where the heck did he get "1.6" as the multiplier in his little formula for selecting a load resistor for an MM?  Since I know JR knows more about this stuff than I do, I have to wonder how he justifies his advice.  It is not sufficient to talk about "damping".

j_damon ... 

Thanks for the kudos, but all of the credit goes to Pani who originally recommended the ART-9.  

So happy you are experiencing the attributes of the ART-9.  As it breaks in, you will appreciate it even more. Last night I was playing a  Stanley Black album ... yes, Stanley Black. The highs were so sweet and extended that I, and my audiophile guest Robert were totally taken aback. The highs go on forever. 

Frank. 
That's great news @j_damon. Which turntable and tonearm do you use ? 
@avanti1960 please consider ARC phonostages too for the ART-9. I totally forgot about it. 
@pani 
thank you for the phono preamp recommendations.  i may consider one at a later date but the Black Cube SE II is getting the job done for me- for now my tube integrated amplifier adds all the color I need.  

i did try loading the ART9 with 47Kohm.  It sounded slightly more midrange biased but I prefer the sound overall at the 100ohm setting.  

as another "break through" the treble truly is starting to come alive on this cartridge.  I was really doubtful that it would happen.  not quite there yet but showing some great progress.   definitely the best it has sounded yet and still sounds much better than the Ortofon 2M black- which I used to really like.   the sweetness and cleanliness of the treble is what makes this one great (so far).  

@pani 

VPI super scoutmaster ref,  JWM 10.5i with Valhalla wiring

ARC PH-6, 100 ohm load

McIntosh 2200 pre,

Raymond Lumley Megavox 75's monoblocks

Focal 1028 Be,

mostly Audioquest cabling