Magnepan 1.6 fronts-what non-maggies center/sur

I have Magnepan 1.6 for 2 channel system. I am moving to 7.1. I need to purchase speakers for center and 2 sets of surrounds. I do not have space for Magnepan surrounds or centers. Anyone successfully mix speaker types like this? If so, what worked. I am thinking about Paradigm ADP. Other equipment ATI 2 channel amp (250/375 WPC), Onkyo 850 AV Receiver, Rel T2 sub.
Thanks,
Dan
landrdp
You can run a "ghost" center,no center at all, works surprisingly well. I ran my 3A sigs this way.
I can tell you as way to get a killer Magnepan center for cheap. Buy a single MMG and mount the feet on the sides, and lay it over. Your getting the best center channel you could from Magnepan for $300. I also will be using the MMG's for rears, and the 1.6 for mains.-SVS Ultra subs.
A single MMG as a center? Is there any way you could post pictures of that? Also, wouldn't that create a bit of dispersion problem if you sit off center (or maybe it's wide enough that you're not having that problem...)
Its perfect for a center, the ribbon runs nearly as far as 3 couch lengths. Its also an amazing tonal match for the 1.6's(mains) and matching rear MMG's. The 3 speakers sound like 1 wall of sound.

Theres many ways to build stands. The cheapest is to mount the stock legs on the sides, and gives you tilt if you desire(or put a riser under the flip lifts to level it). You could also buy 4qty A66 L brackets at Lowes and paint them black(forms a giant T), or you can get 2 pieces of wood, 2 L brackets, 2 packs of furniture leg risers, and create a sweet custom stand like I did for $25 per MMG. Paint the L bracket black, paint or stain the wood, and the furniture risers will let you raise or tilt the speakers up or down 0-1". The risers are the exact same Martin Logan shipped with there Ascent speakers, and is under $2 per pack of 4 at Lowes.
I was a dealer for Magnapans in the past, and have some experience with them over the years. Might I recommend keeping those music speakers for 2 channel music dubties in that system, and doing either one of two things. One, keep the 2 channel system separate, and integrate a 7.1 channel small satalite system, that'll give you seemless, properly integrated results from your ht system. The other is to simply add a subwoofer to your Magnapan setup, and add a processor. Adding different brand speakers is a sure path to low fidelity, different overall sound - as things pan from speaker to speaker - and not to mention it will all look cheap!
Also, listening to any Magnapan speaker "off-axis" will yield less than stellar sonics. Believe me! Sound will be rolled off and hollow. The only way to hear maggies, is sitting dead between them. In that case, a need for a center and rears, is really not so important, imo, due to design limitations.(they're dipoles, and phase cancel out off-axis...it's how it is)
Keep it simple if you want to stay with the very low efficiency and rather delicate 1.6's for dynamic movie mixes, definiltey add a powered sub, and cross the maggies above 80hz.
Anyway, those are my two setup recommendations.