Magnepan 1.6 fronts-what non-maggies center/sur

I have Magnepan 1.6 for 2 channel system. I am moving to 7.1. I need to purchase speakers for center and 2 sets of surrounds. I do not have space for Magnepan surrounds or centers. Anyone successfully mix speaker types like this? If so, what worked. I am thinking about Paradigm ADP. Other equipment ATI 2 channel amp (250/375 WPC), Onkyo 850 AV Receiver, Rel T2 sub.
Thanks,
Dan
landrdp

Showing 3 responses by sthomas12321

I can tell you as way to get a killer Magnepan center for cheap. Buy a single MMG and mount the feet on the sides, and lay it over. Your getting the best center channel you could from Magnepan for $300. I also will be using the MMG's for rears, and the 1.6 for mains.-SVS Ultra subs.
Its perfect for a center, the ribbon runs nearly as far as 3 couch lengths. Its also an amazing tonal match for the 1.6's(mains) and matching rear MMG's. The 3 speakers sound like 1 wall of sound.

Theres many ways to build stands. The cheapest is to mount the stock legs on the sides, and gives you tilt if you desire(or put a riser under the flip lifts to level it). You could also buy 4qty A66 L brackets at Lowes and paint them black(forms a giant T), or you can get 2 pieces of wood, 2 L brackets, 2 packs of furniture leg risers, and create a sweet custom stand like I did for $25 per MMG. Paint the L bracket black, paint or stain the wood, and the furniture risers will let you raise or tilt the speakers up or down 0-1". The risers are the exact same Martin Logan shipped with there Ascent speakers, and is under $2 per pack of 4 at Lowes.
You have to have the MMG a good ways from the front wall, or it sounds terrible. You could dampn it