Wilson Audio Haters

I've always wondered why there are so many people out there, that more than any other speaker manufacturer, really hate the Wilson line. I own Maxx 2's and also a pair of Watt Puppys. They are IMHO quite wonderful.

Why does Wilson get so much thrashing?

128x128crazyeddy
@erik_squires 

"your writing confuses beaming with lobing and compression"

No it does not. I am just talking about trade-offs between several related factors.

One way to solve compression problems from a driver with inadequate SPL or not enough linear dynamic range from the drive motor is to employ a larger diaphragm - this is why folded ribbons are larger than dome tweeters because they don't have as good linearity at higher SPL. The downside of a larger diaphragm is initially beaming (at lower frequencies) and eventually lobing at much higher frequencies. 

Beaming is related to lobing in that the initial beam is actually one lobe that is directly forward of the driver and this eventually becomes narrower and narrower as frequency increases. Also additional side lobes appear as frequency increases. This is all interrelated to the problem of using to large a transducer or diaphragm.

bo1972
2,243 posts

Hmmm...2,243 posts so far in this never-ending misinfomercial, yet not a single testimonial from a satisfied client.  Weird, huh?
p59teitel,

I'm not a client of bo1972's, but I'm very satisfied with my Monitor Audio PL500's. I think bo1972 goes about it the wrong way and talks about audio as absolutes as opposed to opinions/preferences. I've been in this hobby/obsession for 30 years. I don't know everything, but I think the room has a large impact on what speaker works best for your particular preferences.
Although not "speakers", I recently traded subwoofers with my friend. I had a SVS SB16 Ultra and he had a JL Audio F110 v2. My room is larger than his and has acoustical treatment; however his room is completely open. In my room, no matter what I did the SB16 wasn't musical and had too much output. In his room , no matter what he did he felt the F110 v2 lacked output. Now both of us are happy! Different rooms, different results. I might add, different preferences. He prefers exaggerated bass, I prefer very tight musical bass. 
p59teitel,

LOL :)

ricred,

I can confirm again that MA PLII series are some special speakers. Very nice sounding and the stage is very spatial. I have listened these many times with different amps and they are far from distorted sounding. Vast majority of other brands are just a bit boring and mid-fi sounding. No need to even a-b or some blind tests.

JL makes one of the best subs available and for a reasonable price. I have F112 myself and must say that they have incredible customer service as-well. I must also thank Barry from Soundoctor. Very helpful and knowledgeable person. Barry has a guide with test CD on how to properly set up JL sub that I can recommend. It is very profound. Nothing that you will find on some webpage. Anyway you have extremely good speakers. Don`t worry what some measures or thinks.