Pani ... New ART-9 up and running ...

The Cartridge arrived and I took it down to Studio City to Acoustic Image to have Eliot Midwood set it up properly. Eliot is the bomb when it comes to setting up the Well Tempered turn tables correctly.

http://www.acousticimage.com/

So, last night I had Mr. Golden Ears over to get his assessment as well. For a brand new cartridge that had zero hours on it ... all I can say is WOW! This is one naturally musical cartridge that doesn't break the bank. Its everything I liked about the OC9-mk III, but it goes far beyond the OC-9 in every respect.

In a previous post, I talked about the many mono records I own and how good the OC-9 was with the monos. Well, the ART-9 is on steroids. Just amazing on mono recordings.

At under $1100.00 from LP Tunes, its a bargain. The ART-9 surpasses all cartridges I've had in the system before. That would include Dynavectors, Benz, Grado Signatures and a Lyra Clavis that I dearly loved. In fact, its more musically correct than the Clavis. The Clavis was the champ at reproducing the piano correctly ... the ART-9 is equally as good in this area.

Sound stage, depth of image, left to right all there. Highs ... crystalline. Mids ... female and male voices are dead on. Transparency ... see through. Dynamics ... Wow! Low noise floor ... black. Mono records ... who needs stereo?

Your assessment that the ART-9 doesn't draw attention to itself is dead on. You just don't think about the cartridge at all. Not what its doing, or what its not doing ... its just beautiful music filling the room.

Thanks again Pani for the recommendation. I'll keep posting here as the cartridge continues to break in.
128x128oregonpapa
After a lot of searching, reading and listening, I too have decided on the ART9. My table is a VPI  Classic and the preamp is a Pass Xono. My first ART9 is headed back to the person I bought it from as the cantilever was not straight. But even in the short time I had it (and in it's new, un-broken in and imperfect state) I was able to tell that this gentlemen, is a very, very fine cartridge. I've been through two OC9/ii's and a 33EV. Then I stepped into the wild world of used exotics like a Transfiguration Temper Supreme and a Spectral MCR Signature (both of which are very special indeed). 

But it was time for a new cartridge as you never know with a used one what kind of life it had and whether its best days are behind it. And here is where the story gets interesting....

I looked all around to find this cartridge and of course you can find it on the usual auction site if you want to forego the AT warranty and order from Japan or Europe. So I looked into a local AT dealer near me (you know -give the local guy the business for long term support) and guess what he told me ? AT is ONLY authorizing lptunes.com to sell these in the US. That's it! No other reselllers are allowed to carry it. 

WTF AT  ? What kind of nonsense is this ? I can't use a local dealer to buy the killer cartridge I've spent years working up your product line to obtain ?

So, I ordered from lptunes....will post some more listening impressions once I get it....

anotherjblnut
I don't think my throwing one more set of subjective opinions into this mix would do anyone any good, least of all the OP.  However, Chakster, because you've got a ZYX 4D, do not assume you know how a UNIverse sounds.  I don't own and have not heard the UNI II or the newest iteration, the UNI Premium (I think), but I do own a plain Jane original UNIverse, and it's a truly great, exceptional cartridge.  This is coming from a guy who mostly loves MM and MI types, too.  Here is why: It does piano better than any MC I have owned.  While accurately re-creating the believable timbre and decay of a piano, it also separates out instruments in space; there is no congealing of the violin section, for example.  And bass definition is better than with other MCs I have mounted in the same tonearm now sporting the UNI.  (10.5-inch Reed 2A on Technics SP10 Mk3 in 100-lb plinth.)  I also have a new ART7, which I intend to compare to the UNI, next.

Audiolabrinth,

I have no personal experience with the EAR phono stages.  I started off with the Grado phono stage.  When I purchased the Heed Quasar, I combed thru the forums for a ps that was quiet, good tonality (tube-like, if possible) and affordable (for me).  The EARs kept popping up as being top shelf, though not for the money.  The reviews confirmed the quality, but never were they considered good bang for your hard earned dollar. 

That's when I came across the Heed.  The same distributor that brings in Cardas, Sonus Faber, Opera, and Unison Research suggested that I take a listen to the Quasar.  I got a new (demo) unit from Blackbird Audio in California.  Dead quiet, tube like (though a SS unit) sound, and super easy to use.  I only moved on to the Rogue Ares I have now because I found a screaming deal.

I don't think you'd go wrong with an EAR, I do suspect you can find something as good for less money or something better for the same.  My audiophile mentor convinced me of one thing...invest in a good phono stage, you'll never regret it. Goodluck in your search.

You have to try JLTi phono stage, it’s absolutely amazing for any MC or MM cartridges. The best feature is RCA plug load resistors of any kind, so it is fully flexible in terms of R load, you can try whatever resistor you want to find the best for your mc or mm. Only a few phono stages will give you so much flexibility. it’s a solid state devide build around Diamond Transistor. Here is the old version. And you can simply google the latest version available from Australia.