Oppo 105D high frequencey sizzling issue anyone help me suggesting a mod that i can do or?

Ya No .. so I have had the Oppo 105D since April 2014 and have enjoyed it and never had an issue .. until lately ..

I am getting a high frequency sizzling at the tweeters via the dedicated balanced 2 channel outs.

With less of a revealing interconnect one can not hear it at my listening distance of 10 ft but I do want to keep my WireWorlds Gold Eclipse 7s .. as they are so open and revealing ..

I know that its the Oppo as I have isolated and changed out speakers, cables, interconnects, power cords and by passed my power conditioner as well and all leads point to the noisy audio board.

So I contacted Oppo and it would be $119 for them to put in a new board .. very reasonable I think .. however they cant guarantee me that it will solve my issue as they cant duplicate my exact set up and interconnects..

with the above stated .. maybe I should look into a modification as we all know there is a lot of mods that can be and are done with the oppo 105.

Maybe I try things myself? Thinking of trying to emi rfi shielding the power transformer, power supply cover, transport lid 
 Any suggestions and real world experience that you may have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time .

greatwhite11
You have just described that's why I don't like Oppo high end DAC's.... :) :)

Are you hearing noise, or just a really hard/hot treble? if the former, you may have bad power supply issues. If the latter and on both sides, it's likely to be the characteristic of the output stage.

If it's just one channel, then you may have a bad board.

Best,

Erik
Here is a good possibility, scroll down for the Oppo 105 mods.

It seems they use electrolytic coupling caps (not good practice) so bypassing them is a great idea.

http://audiophile-musings.blogspot.com/

Hi Erik, Thank you

Maybe its  time that I utilize a separate dac when I want to listen to my music and still use the Oppo for my surround as I am sure that I wont be losing much by going rca for the left and right channels when going surround. I use my oppo 50% tv movies and 50% 2 channel multi channel music.

Instead of throwing money in to mods maybe I should just go with a new dac? I know there are a lot of wonderful options to be tried and had.

Its just a faint high frequency light sizzling from the tweeter .. more so on the right channel and just audible enough to be a pain in da butt .. I also enjoy late night early morning low level listening as well and its irritating.

Thank you for your input and help I will check out the link as I have read a lot about different mods but now I have to do something about it and hopefully I can fix it myself with some shielding ..

You asked for advice, so here it is. Pay the $119 for the new board. Oppo will test it before returning it to you. If the problem is not cured, that'll be one less thing you'll need to consider. As an alternative, do the things you suggested BEFORE you send it to Oppo. If you solve the problem, you're $119 ahead! I think you can trust Oppo not to hose you. Best of luck.