Why are low impedance speakers harder to drive than high impedance speakers

I don't understand the electrical reason for this. I look at it from a mechanical point of view. If I have a spring that is of less resistance, and push it with my hand, it takes little effort, and I am not working hard to push it. When I have a stiffer spring (higher resistance)  I have to work harder to push it. This is inversely proportional when we are looking at amplifier/speaker values.

So, when I look at a speaker with an 8 ohm rating, it is easier to drive than a speaker with a 4 ohm load. This does not make sense to me, although I know it to be true. I have yet been able to have it explained to me that makes it clear.  Can someone explain this to me in a manner that does not require an EE degree?

Thanks

128x128crazyeddy
Atmashere, the OP said nothing of ESL's. I did make mention of :  "Most typical speakers....".

Mapman,

I don't get the sense of "pundits" taking sides. The OP raised an interesting question regarding the popularity of 4 ohm speakers. This generated a very good discussion. We agree that one fine aspect of High End audio is the many choices/paths that lead to a good sounding home audio system. Your system and mine are at opposite ends of a component/system spectrum, yet we're both very happy respectively. This is a good outcome. I appreciate the multitude of perspectives provided here.

Charles

you took my statement out of context. Here is what I actually said:
Yes- it was not to contradict you, but to use the phrase as a talking point, as I see that approach recommended a lot. Then later people sell off the gear in search of that holy grail... I think if you start with the grail first you're less likely to sell and waste the cash.
Atmashere, the OP said nothing of ESL's. I did make mention of : "Most typical speakers...."
Correct- in fact by 'most typical' is about 95% of the market. In high end, its still about 85% and so is 'mostly accurate' :)

For those outside of that percentage (Charlesdad's speakers are box speakers but they are an example) that voltage thing just does not work. This is entirely due to the designer wanting the speaker to work with a particular kind of amp. In Charlesdad's case, the speakers were originally envisioned on a set of our M-60s and later that manufacturer started making SETs, which work much the same way. SETs in general are much happier on higher impedance loads despite often having 4 ohm taps and they tend to make constant power rather than constant voltage owing to zero loop feedback.

In a tube amp, the 4 ohm tap is not an efficient way to use the output transformer, which often means not only less power (lost due to heat) but also less bandwidth, sometimes up to an octave lost on the bottom end. So its often really worthwhile to avoid low impedance speakers with tube amps even if you have the taps on the output transformer!
atmosphere: "One other point not previously mentioned is the effect of speaker cables! At lower impedances they tend to be far more critical, where shorter distances and much larger gauges are required to prevent loss of definition and impact. This can be a pretty big deal as the series resistance of the speaker cable can have a pretty dramatic effect on the effective output impedance of the amplifier! By contrast the speaker cables are far less critical at 16 ohms- which is why a lot of us kids got by with hardware store zip cord in the old days."

At the risk of taking this thread into the contemptuous nether regions of many others (please no!), this may explain a lot regarding contrary experiences of many on this forum regarding speaker cables' impact on sound.

Good point Ralph.

Dave