Question on hearing

Apologies in advance for rambling, but this is something that has been in the back of my mind for years.

When I was a teen growing up in the 70's, I listened with a basic Kenwood receiver, a Thorens turntable, and either Advent or Bozak speakers, all inherited from relatives. Speaker cables and cables were basic Radioshack. What I remember is having intense, hair-raising moments of connection to music, especially in response to fine textural and harmonic details.

Nowadays, I have what I consider to be a reference-level system with a mixture of tube and solid-state electronics, digital and analog sources, and a treated listening room.  I've achieved what I consider to be reference-level sound. Listening is truly enjoyable for me these days, but those special moments of physical and emotional connection to musical moments are much rarer than in the old, old days. Part of this is no doubt a result of mildly diminished high frequency hearing, but I suspect that other factors are at play. I was just wondering if others have anything to say about this? 
psag
"I have tested and tasted too much, lover.
Through a chink too wide, there comes in no wonder."
---Advent, Kavanagh.

Post removed 
There are many books discussing our reaction and love of music.
I submit it has less to do with either the perceived quality of the music or reproduction, but rather the stage of development our emotional maturity and the physical brain. I highly recommend "This Is Your Brain On Music" by Daniel Levitin. In it, he specifically addresses why we emotionally attach to music we listen to as teenagers. Ultimately, our enjoyment of music is, and will be, different than when we were young. It's the natural state. Still, in moments of significant emotional highs or lows, music can elicit profound reactions. 

What we need is a book by a cognitive psychologist on audiophiles & hearing
There are a lot of factors that go into something like this, but I really think it’s natural for anyone involved in the high-end realm to focus too much on the audio quality, whether intentionally or not. Also, some of us have put together systems that are much more resolving (brighter?) than our old ones and the flaws stick out more. That said, I’m very happy to say that the other night I pulled out my Sundazed reissue of the Vanilla Fudge first record and, horrendous audio quality aside, listened all the way through, without giving a thought to the audio aspect. My hearing is probably not over 12k anymore, but I really feel I was able to appreciate the music the way I did in high school, albeit with a different perspective on life.  It's possible that the audio quality was SO bad, nothing could be done to salvage it, so there was no sense thinking about anything but the music.  I don't know.