Tube amp for KEF Reference 3s

Hi Everyone,

Long time Audiogoner but this is my first post here.  I am looking for some suggestions regarding amplification for my KEF Reference 3s.  Currently I have a Modwright KWI 200 with built-in DAC which I like a lot, but wonder if the KEFs would benefit from a high-quality tube amp.  I would like to go for a high-end amp like a VAC or Air Tight but would prefer "testing the waters" first by trying a tube amp in my system.  I primarily listen to Tidal streamed through a Audalic Aries into the Modwright and analog through a VPI Traveler/Musical Surroundings Nova II.  I have a small listing area (my office) which is approximately 12 x 16 and I have some GIK acoustic panels in the corners and along my back wall.  If anyone has suggestions as to a "low-priced" tube amp that might give the KEFs a somewhat warmer sound I'd be willing to purchase used and then move up the chain to a higher-end amp if things work out.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

grnmtnboy77
theothergreg: you are correct, I am definitely scattered in my approach.  I am exploring ideas and my plan is to get to a KEF dealer to try out some tube electronics, but wanted some suggestions before I engage a dealer (mine is 3000 miles away in Southern California). 

Autobrian: thanks for the suggestion.  Another consideration from a fellow KEF owner.
grnmtnboy77, having your dealer 3k miles away does make it a bit of a challenge (BTW, I'm pretty sure I know who your dealer is now).  If you were in California, you could come by and hear my system.  I have nearly 40 tubes in my primary system, so you would definitely be immersed in tube warmth.

With all due respect to audiobrian, if you intend to buy a used component in the $2k price range, I would still suggest you stay with a bigger name brand such as EAR, PrimaLuna or Rogue since they will tend to sell easier should you decide to move up the food chain in the future.

I've been a "VAC addict" for over 10 years and still love VAC with my KEFs!
However at $3500-$3700 NEW for the Audio Mirror 45 watt SET monoblocks, they sound absolutely remarkable with my KEF Ref 3's, as I sit here listening with my VAC amplifier resting comfortably, waiting to get back into the ring....not yet!
I'm surprised such great sound is available at a fraction of the cost of my other fine amplifiers.  Enjoy and good luck!

theothergreg, I should say that I have a good relationship with my dealer, from whom I have purchased multiple pieces of gear over the past 3-4 years, including my Modwright, KEFs x 3, VPI Traveler (which I dislike and would never purchase another VPI product, but that relates to my indirect experience with VPI and is a story for another time), Musical Surroundings Phono preamp, and Nurprime Amos that I use for my desktop systems (and like a lot for that).  It is just that as you know every dealer has his/her biases and limitations as regards component matching.  I have visited my dealer in person twice, most recently to purchase the Ref 3s, which were demoed with high end VAC electronics, and my dealer while selling some solid state gear (Constellation, Rowland, Bryston) is clearly more of an analog/tube guy.

I agree that the decision to purchase gear must incorporate some consideration of reliability and customer service, which is why I almost always purchase new (and I fortunately can afford to do so).  While I don't doubt that audiobrian has found a great match with the Audio Mirrors, I would prefer to stick with more mainstream brands-I am a set it and forget type, which is in part why I have never considered tubes previously.  However, I feel like I am missing some warmth in the system which is pleasant but not all that engaging.

The EAR 868L is a nice line stage pre, same circuit as the $12,000 EAR 912 but without it's meters and extra controls. They go for about $3000 when available second-hand. Not as well known or owned as American brands, but EAR designer Tim Paravicini is one of the handful of most knowledgeable, talented tube circuit experts working today. The EAR 868/912 is a favorite pre of both Art Dudley (Stereophile) and Robert Levi (Positive Feedback). And myself.