Request advice-need "brighter" speakers than Totem Hawks

Hi All-
Love the community here; first time poster.
My gear:
i have a pair of Totem Hawks, driven by Sim Audio W-5 amp and P-5 pre. I listen primarily to Redbook CDs via a Marantz SA8005. Cables are all Audience AU24SE. I listen both through a modded Eastern Electric DAC (op amp upgraded, tube removed) and direct from CDP to preamp (teensy sound difference between DAC/no DAC, if any). My medium sized room is pretty dead sonically (carpet, textile window coverings).

My Issue:
The high frequencies are uncrisp, rolled off severely, muted, and just lacking generally, especially on contemporary works (jazz, rock). I don’t hear cymbals, hi-hats, or rich, crisp snare drums (yeah, I’m a drummer). Listening to my favorite disks is a deeply disappointing experience, Though classical sounds ok to fine. I am thinking that I need brighter speakers than the Hawks (though there are numerous folks who extoll Sim Audio plus Totem speakers, something is not right. I do have a bit of hi-freq. hearing loss from playing percussion for over 40 years (amateur), but I’ve heard a number of less expensive systems that sound better to me. My first thought is to go for a used pair of B&Ws (CM5s?) or Vandersteens (assuming good WAF on the latter) to swap out for the Hawks. I’m on a budget, but am not above selling some of the current gear to pay for the right equipment.

I would love love to hear some suggestions or alternate diagnoses/ideas. I am not limiting myself to speakers; I’ve tried a bunch of different cables to no good effect. Analysis Plus silver cables, for example, were a disaster with this gear, for example, FYI. Thanks in advance for any sage thoughts you choose to offer. -Bruce

bheiman
bheiman

Thinking about your situation and taking into account your hearing loss. It seems like so many times when people are looking for a sub woofer, meaning more bass, what they are really missing is a great midrange. I am wondering if you are seeking highs because your midrange isn't moving you emotionally. Perhaps your system isn't engaging. 

I had a pair of Hawks myself and while I found the mids and highs to be commendable it was the bass that I found to be somewhat "rounder" than I appreciate.  Mind you this is in comparison to Thiel CS3.5's which some people regard as being too bright. 

If if you can find a pair of CS2.3 or higher methinks your issue with the Hawks will be remedied. Used, they're bargains of the highest order, too.  Good luck!

Sorry to say the hawks use different drivers than Forests Winds and Sharmans I have all three use them in surround and don't loss the high's

Import to match gear to speakers also

Hi, it sounds like you already made a choice but I wanted to chime in on the Dali Royal Tower you asked about.   I have had mine for about 9 years, they still put a smile on my face. 

They are absolutely beautiful with acoustic instruments and vocals,  excellent imaging and sound staging.  Transparent is a good word, warm is another.  The silk doom tweeter sold me immediately compared to many metal dome loaded speakers I heard.   I am constantly amazed about the amount and quality of the sound for such a small little speaker.   To this day I have moments they still raise my eyebrows and make me shake my head at how good they sound.  Frequently I will have experiences where the presence of the voice coming from the room with the stereo is so vivid it's startling.  I half expect to walk in the room and see someone sitting there.   Maybe many speakers do this I don't know, but I can't see why anyone would need anything more if that is the type of listening you do.   I listened to a lot of speakers at every price point at the Rocky Mountain Audio Show around the same time.  For the price it was a no brainer. Wonderful speaker.  

I am a bit of a rocker, and if I had to nit pick, it would be the mid range punch of electric guitars.   The low end frequency response is conservative, some may feel the need for a sub, I have an EQ on my amp and can dial in all the bass I need.   Even though they are not ideal for most of my music collection, they are so pleasing otherwise I will never part with them.   

I run them with a Rega Apollo and Mcintosh MA6900 integrated.  

Good luck in your journey!  
Zamdrang:
Thank you for weighing in on the Dali Royal Towers. I was initially engaged by them because of their highly refined look, having never had a chance to listen to them. I have also had difficulty finding reviews online because they are getting pretty "vintage" as far as their age goes. I really appreciate your thoughts, and indeed, may act on them. 

Update for others following this thread: 
Having switched to near field listening while doing tests, and using only my left (undamaged) ear consistently from speaker-to-speaker, I am perceiving that the highs are coming through, and maybe
  1. I am not listening to good sources (music CDs and CDP), which accounts for a lack of clear highs,
  2. The combination of Simaudio Moon P-5/W-5 and Hawks may be over-softening my high frequencies too much for my particular needs,
  3. Swapping in the Creek Evo 100a has some effect in the direction I need, but having to crank the treble all the way (or nearly so) doesn't seem to be a very "audiophile" solution, and I still miss some highs. 
This has led me to contemplate the following possible actions (I am thinking to implement 1 or 2 of these ideas, not all three--costs are a factor. :

(a) switching to different speakers (as noted above the Dalis come to mind, or the  Thiels which a number of you kind people have mentioned as likely able to meet my needs,

(b) switching to a brighter amp/pre-amp combo. My experience with the Creek has led me to believe that the integrated amp market has come a very long way in a good direction since I switched to all separates, 

(c) getting into a better source (a disc player with music server capabilities, for example. Any suggestions along those lines would be most welcome. I am a total noob (as my kids say) in this realm of gear. I am especially interested in hearing about gear that delivers top caliber sound quality without breaking the bank. I am aware that music servers tend to be expensive.  I have a dedicated MacBook Air (2011 vintage) available, if that helps. 

Thanks again to all who have advised me on this issue. I hope to hear from you on these questions. 
Best,
-Bruce