Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Don’t listen to the negative propaganda especially from just one or two who repeat the same thing over and over. Just try them for yourselves if interested and see. 

Myself, I’ve had way less trouble finding top notch sounding Class D amps than others. 
Mapman, I'm glad that you enjoy your Ice Modules. The KEF LS50 was just released in an active version. The woofer is powered by Class D and the tweeter is powered by Class AB. Does this mean that there is a problem with Class D higher frequencies to some ears...or is it just an issue with procurement budget and not being able to purchase the better Class D modules? I don't have those answers but it is food for thought. 

Hi Mitch2, my PFO article on Veritas details all the technical information that I have gathered on Veritas, based on conversation with Merrill, and by reading the publicly available technical literature on the amp. See:

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68/merrill_audio.htm 

Unfortunately, I have not heard the ATSAH, so I really cannot comment on internal differences, nor sonic differences.

In itself, Merrill Veritas is exceptional value for its $12K list price. In a more traditional SS design, At the time of my review a couple years ago, I would have expected such sound to be more in the capabilities of an excellent amp in the lower $20K range.

Although there are obvious commonalities between the behavior of M925 and Veritas, there are quantitative and qualitative audible differences, which are however less than the price difference would suggest.... Famous laws of diminishing returns that audiophiles are acquiented to *grins!*

Thus, were I to ignore any budget considerations, my preference would comfortably go to M925 for the following parameters: 

* Power reserve

* authority.

* Macro and micro dynamics.

* Harmonic exposure.

* Linearity.

* Frequency extension.

Transparency.

* Sweetness and complexity of treble.

* stage size and concreteness.

* Imaging concreteness.

* Aliveness of "black" background... Also called the sound of the silence between the notes... Or the reproduction of ultra-low level information.

* Immunity to electronic background noise.

*  Immunity to intermodulation artifacts in the treble region.

Yet again.... let us Keep things into perspective.... the rowland M925 was engineered with a sophistication commensurate with its pricepoint just shy of $60K, several times the price of Veritas.

Saluti, Guido

To me the fact that that a number of forums are now being devoted to class D amps indicates the importance and growth of this tech.
I have 3 different class D amps all at different levels of sound quality. with the new Bel-Canto Ref 600 mono's as the newest and most complete.
They really  respond to tuning with power cords! They are green, run cool, but perhaps as important they are much easer to move around. Are they the last word in amps? not yet.. but getting much better day by day.
Mapman, I'm glad that you enjoy your Ice Modules. The KEF LS50 was just released in an active version. The woofer is powered by Class D and the tweeter is powered by Class AB. Does this mean that there is a problem with Class D higher frequencies to some ears...or is it just an issue with procurement budget and not being able to purchase the better Class D modules? I don't have those answers but it is food for thought.

Kef know what's better for the upper range with using an A/B amp for it, otherwise they would have used another smaller Class-D for it as well, instead of just for the bass, and it would have cost less to manufacture, and been "greener", then they could have called it Kef LS50"G" active.

Cheers George 
Bel-Canto Ref 600 mono’s as the newest and most complete.
They really respond to tuning with power cords! They are green, run cool, but perhaps as important they are much easer to move around. Are they the last word in amps? not yet.. but getting much better day by day.
+1 They have sounded the best Class-D to me so far, but they have modded the filters of the newest Hypex modules to do it.

As you said "are they the last word not yet", and I agree, as for me to have liked them, they had to be driving a very benign 6ohm load of a very expensive Raven Ribbon to get me to say this. Even then with long term listening they were still a bit too "cold/analytical" sounding in the upper range.

Cheers George