Wilson Audio Haters

I've always wondered why there are so many people out there, that more than any other speaker manufacturer, really hate the Wilson line. I own Maxx 2's and also a pair of Watt Puppys. They are IMHO quite wonderful.

Why does Wilson get so much thrashing?

128x128crazyeddy
Veroman, seriously? Looking at your system you have a horribly compromised system which seems set up with one principle paramount, not spending much money. You are running an analogue EQ to try and save the sound. That is a 40 year old technique which causes massive degradation of the sound quality. You are screwing around with the EQ to make the home made speakers perform acceptably. You have almost nothing below 55Hz. Imo you have a crude approximation of better HiFi, and you are mocking others? 

Assessing your system and seeming preferences you are in no position to be critical of manufacturer's use of cone materials and audiophiles' interest in different cable conductors. I suspect you have little to no experience in actual comparisons of such things. 

Now, if you're budget constrains you from reaching higher, then I hold no disdain for the setup; I was a budget audiophile for many years as well. But still, I think you are blind to how little basis you have to be a critic of the matters you deride. It's one thing to be economical and make the best with your budget, but it's another to ridicule others from that position, especially if you have little to no experience in it. :(

If you think more expensive gear, different cone materials and conductors in cables are a sham and you could spend more but distrust it, then I feel sorry for you as you are ripping yourself off in the experience of HiFi. You built your own speaker, which is a great accomplishment! So, instead of mocking, why don't you follow the lead of many other DIY'ers who upscaled and built some drop dead gorgeous speakers with quality drivers and super internal wiring. Moving to not much more expensive components and a big gun homemade speaker - you would be living the dream!   :)

Maybe some DIYers can chime in here to discuss their experiences. I suspect my thoughts as a reviewer could be discounted, but perhaps more weighting would be given to persons of similar interest in DIY. I know there are DIYers who have discovered wonderful sound through upscaling their builds such as revisiting internal wiring, conductor material, etc. 
It depends what your rules are of the level in stage depth.

In my world each system with one metre of stage depth is 2 dimensional.

The Pl-500 can outperform even a Wilson Audio Alexandria in stage depth, width and especially in diversity of height. 

These parts are essential in the world of highend. But there is more.....also in layering in the whole frequency range the Pl-500 can reveal details a Wilson Audio Alexandria cannot show.

I will ask for a shootout, this is how audio should be used.
Funny  that most  people that denigrate the Wilson speakers have never heard them - probably reacting to a company making speakers they can't afford?

I listened to various Watt/Puppy combos over the years (never occurred to me that they looked like trash bins....) but was never enticed by them, but when I had the chance to hear some Grand Slamms I changed my view and kept an eye out - they rarely come up for grabs locally.

Recently purchased a pair of Maxx 2s, very much in the same idiom.

The other day when a lady friend of my wife came over, she said "OK, show me how loud they can go!" and didn't understand when I declined.  Told her that if she ever needed speakers she should look at Cerwin Vega....

But I have been very happy indeed with the Maxx - I also listen to my other system which has Martin Logan CLS, a totally different sound but also very satisfying.
wspohn,

I've seen the same statement several times, "Funny  that most  people that denigrate the Wilson speakers have never heard them - probably reacting to a company making speakers they can't afford?" I've owned several Wilson speakers. In hindsight "I owned" them more for their name and wanting to belong to a group of Wilson Owners than their sound. I argued that Wilson's were the best and defended my choice. I will say, Wilson's are some of the most dynamic speakers that I've owned, but I would take my current speakers over any Wilson that I've heard or owned. As I have become more in tuned to the sound I prefer, I have moved further away from the Wilson sound. I don't worry about the company name, I just think about how it sounds to my ears. So, there are some people that have owned Wilson's and can afford them; however they just don't prefer them. No absolutes in Audio, just preferences!