Cd Ripping - is it better to use inbuilt CD drive of laptop or use an external Cd drive

I have started ripping my CD collection now.

I use Jriver 22 with my windows based laptop for ripping. I started ripping with the inbuilt Cd drive of the laptop (HP).

Then for testing i got a new Dell Cd drive and used it for ripping on the same computer. The bass energy of the music was very less as compared to the one from the inbuilt CD drive. I guess the USB mini cable must be one of the major culprits in this.

Can anyone throw some light on which is better - ripping with the inbuilt CD drive of the laptop or use an external CD drive with a better USB mini cable.
g_chops
I can't comment about EAC and I'm sure it is good. I have ripped over 2000 CDs into my NAS with DB Poweramp with excellent results. The only problem is occasional failure to find Metadata, but I think every system has that
DB Poweramp auto tags using multiple sources during rip. Tagging reliability and automation is best I’ve seen and makes for a more functional music library. Also provides post rip manual and automated batch tagging functionality to help cover all the bases and clean things up when needed.
Another vote for DB poweramp. I tried EAC...horribly complex & on optimal audiophile settings, I found it ludicrously slow (and I have a reasonably fast pc). I only burned one cd...then deleted EAC.
melb I did pretty much the same but in all fairness DB Poweramp also slows down considerably when accurate rip is on and CD is not good quality. You have to decide whether its worth it to wait or not. In most cases I find it is not and I have yet to obtain an audibly poor quality rip having ripped several thousand CDs to-date. If CD is in good conditon accurate rip happens as fast as otherwise. Its only when portions of CD have to be re-read many times in an effort to get a good read that slowness occurs. You have to have a really beat up or defective CD in general for bad reads to occur with any more than a minute % of the data overall. If this is clearly audible I have yet to hear it. DBPoweramp seems to do a good job with the rip no matter what. It is very well done overall including ease of use and flexibility in trading off rip time versus end quality.