Prepro into a Preamp into an Amp??

Due to room and size constraints, I cannot have a separate 2-channel and home theater setup. At the same time, I'm trying to get as much out of 2-channel listening as I can without sacrificing too much to the home theater needs.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a stereo amp with a stereo preamp as the front 2 channels of a 5.1/7.1 setup, and run a 5.1/7.1 PrePro into the stereo preamp. Can this be done by simply using a stereo preamp with home theater bypass?? That way I would use the stereo preamp/amp just for music. The PrePro (through the stereo preamp) and stereo amp could then be used in conjunction with another multi-channel amp connected only to the PrePro for home theater use. Is this possible? Or would I be doing something screwy with the signal by running it through basically two preamps?
jnehma1
Of course you can do it. That's exactly what the HT bypass/processor loop in the pre-amp was designed to do.

I've used that type of setup on numerous occassions with many different combinations of components. However, I'm a bit budget minded (some folks would call me downright cheap), so for me the sweet-spot value wise is a quality 2-channel rig and use a good HT receiver for pre-pro and HT speaker power. Connect the L&R pre-outs from the HT receiver into the HT bypass inputs on the pre-amp, and have at it......

Or even better still (in my budget minded, but sonic quality oriented view), how about a quality integrated amp with HT bypass combined with a good HT receiver. That combination can be very good for 2-channel audio playback and also be perfectly adequate for HT duties. I've used that type of setup using Plinius, Anthem and Arcam integrated amps and a decent HT receiver as the pre-pro/HT surround amps.

Enjoy,

TIC
Thanks for the response, Reubent. Can you recommend any good solid state preamps with HT bypass that I should check out?
That's exactly my set up. I use a Cary SLP98p F-1 for all front end (great HT passthrough feature on a hardwired tube preamp with world class sound), into Cary 500 MB amps.

I use a Denon 3808ci to switch video, decode surround, run another zone, and drive the center and rear channel speakers.
Works great for me.
Most good integrated amplifiers have a HT passthrough that sidesteps their internal preamp completely. An integrated will save you an extra box (preamp) and perhaps some $.