Cd Ripping - is it better to use inbuilt CD drive of laptop or use an external Cd drive

I have started ripping my CD collection now.

I use Jriver 22 with my windows based laptop for ripping. I started ripping with the inbuilt Cd drive of the laptop (HP).

Then for testing i got a new Dell Cd drive and used it for ripping on the same computer. The bass energy of the music was very less as compared to the one from the inbuilt CD drive. I guess the USB mini cable must be one of the major culprits in this.

Can anyone throw some light on which is better - ripping with the inbuilt CD drive of the laptop or use an external CD drive with a better USB mini cable.
g_chops
I second the recommendation to use Exact Audio Copy. At that point it shouldn't matter - assuming both cd drives are operating correctly - which drive you use. 

Also, while true that EAC can be optimally configured, realistically the default settings (i.e. settings the software makes/determines at the time of installation) is more than adequate. You shouldn't need to do any further research in that regard. The settings can always be tweaked.
I use iTunes with error correction turned on both internal and external drives. I only had trouble with 1 or 2 out of a one hundred CD. 
Unlike playing discs in real time the only thing that matters with drive is how fast it is i.e. How long rip will take.    The software used will determine quality of rip.   Internal versus external does not matter.  Whichever works best for you. 
Just like in real life for any laser reading process everything matters when ripping. At least if sound quality is an issue for you. You know the drill. Vibration related to the transport mechanism, static electric fields, seismic vibration, background scattered light, induced magnetic fields from transformer, etc, quality of power cord. The whole nine yards.

cheers
Get good program like EAC.  I use (free) XLD on the Mac.  Program can go to given sector multiple times until you'll get proper checksum (I set my XLD to 200 attempts max).  You are extracting data.  What is stored on your HD is data and not the music.
Difference between Itunes and better ripping programs is number of times it goes to the same sector before quitting and using interpolated data.  This difference would be bigger on badly scratched CDs and most likely inaudible on brand new.