New Townshend Rock 7 owner

The Townshend is in transit to it's new home. I purchased this one-owner table as a package, complete w/ Funk Firm FXR ll arm, dc motor upgrade, Discovery Balanced phono cable and Brinkman PI cartridge. It come with all original boxes, manuals.

If all goes well, I should be able to get it up and running with one exception, my phono stage is not balanced. Since the original owner bought this from a respected dealer as a package, I think my best route would be to get a pair of RCA to XLR adapters in order to hear the package as close as possible as was intended.

Any thoughts on that aspect? What brand adapters would be recommended? Also, any thing I might need to know from experienced users to help with set-up? Thanks.
128x128slaw
bdp24,

I've read through your comprehensive explanation of the principles behind the Rock's design and how they work in practice. I thank you for taking the time to write this. I loved reading it!

One statement you made really stuck out to me..."I, myself, don't want to hear the ringing of undamped resonances..."

After listening to my VPI Classic 3 SE Sig, that has the 3d arm,  then the Rock.... with the sonic differences I'm now hearing, this makes perfect sense! I may say that the VPI's design being mostly (mass)... while having attributes, doesn't really compete with the Rock's unique, simple and effective design.

Do you or any others here know whether or not the motor w/ the Merlin upgrade needs to be oiled? Thanks.
I was just wondering... how many more years of pleasure, how much money I may have saved, how many smarter purchasing decisions I may have made through the past 30 years if I could have had this table from the beginning?
I mentioned earlier, setting up the arm pillar.

What I've found is the center pillar risers that are basically long through-threaded nuts...... when using the supplied bolts without any washers, the top & bottom bolts will "bottom out" or "meet" inside of these "threaded nuts/risers" before the top and bottom plates can be fully tightened. I ended up using a metal washer between the bottom bolt and the bottom plate in order to allow enough space inside of these "long threaded nuts" so the whole set-up could be completely tightened.

Even then, I made some paper washers of different thicknesses and through trial and error am using one or two in (2) different places right beneath the top plate. This gives me the best leveling of the arm pod.

All of this really makes a big difference regarding my cartridge azimuth and having the center image really shine!

Since I purchased this table used and on-line without the benefit of a well written manual and/or a dealer's help, this is what I've come up with. It's really sounding fantastic!
currently listening to Porcupine Tree "Fear of a Blank Planet".

I've not previously heard this lp sound So good! The transients are really tight and crisp. The bass is very musical and clean. The overall presentation is of the highest caliber for a modern rock record.

The entire soundstage, while having each instrument and vocal portrayed in a proper space... it is more organic, more complete!!! Not a feeling of a wasted space! (I've never experienced this before).
Also, the soundstage "bloom or air" seems limited only to one's room size. Awesome!