Please help! - Buy VPI Classic or keep Technics 1200

I've got upgraditis and am thinking about treating myself to a new audio component for Christmas.  I currently have a Technics 1200 with a Denon 103R cartridge and a heavily modified Jolida JD9 phono stage.  Yes it sounds fantastic but I don't know what I am missing with a VPI Classic or similar table.  There isn't a place close to me where I can go for a demo.  

My question is for you experts - would there be a substantial sound improvement with a VPI Classic  or Classic 2 table if I were to invest the $4,000 in comparison to my Technics 1200?  Would it take the sound to a higher level?  (which is something that I am looking for).  I don't really care about aesthetics or bragging rights but what I do care about is performance and functionality.
audioman2015
I would suggest after many detailed but yet non-musical tables you go the Garrard 301-401 road. may be a bit more time to put one together but in the end you will have something that will last your lifetime. with tons of upgrades and plinth choices not to mention your Cart would work really nicely on a 12" arm. you could easily get one set up for your budget and have something to build on for years to come. I've done the Regas, Oracle Delphi MK1 then MK5 and ended up loving music again with the Garrard. best thing I ever did was on a whim and a friends recommendation  pick up a grease bearing 301 for $2000, Jelco 750L 12" arm new $800, and a plinth made localy $500 but there is a ton of plinths available on ebay ranging from a couple hundred up. go for it worse case you sell it all for what you have into it or more as the prices are going up.
ausioman2015-

there is no "better" to your question. Subjective, and the only answer is to buy the Classic and return it if YOU don't feel it is an upgrade. I have a Classic, that was the upgrade from listening to Rega tables. Personally, I don't hear the PRAT that Rega loyalist insist a Rega table has over the VPI Classic. All in the ears of the listener.

Just as some prefer a tube phono amp over a SS unit, you simply have to try it in your own system.

Also, going up the next level in MC could also give you what your looking for.

oh with well over 100,000  301's and 74,000 401 sold there is so much out there for them.
I don't have an answer for you but I can say that an Audiomods arm and modded Denon 103 is one sweet combination. I've run that combination on my highly modded Thorens TD 850.

Worse case if it isnt enough for you and you still have the upgrade bug is that you keep the arm and cartridge and put it on your next build.