Heard the B&W N804d3s ...

I've owned the original iteration of the N804s since I bought them new in '01. After 15 years, I thought perhaps it was time to upgrade to a newer model. So, I auditioned the new N804d3s at a local retailer. They sounded great, and are an improvement over the originals in the areas of bass slam and airiness. However, that step up to my ears is equivalent to about 10-15%. Not sure that that sort of improvement justifies the price ($9K for the d3s vs. $3,500 for the original N804s), although "upgradeitis" tempts me to pull the plug. Is it just me, or does the law of diminishing returns apply in this case? Your thoughts on this or the qualitiative differences between the old and new Nautilus lines would be most appreciated.

rlb61
@wlutke ... Thanks for the suggestion. I’m kind of stuck in this converted bedroom as all other available space is taken up. So, I will try the sub since the lowest FR of the N804s is 45Hz +/- 2dB, which is a bit lean even when compared to some monitors; the sub may fill in the deficient area. Since I listen to 2-channel only, and don’t do HT, FR from the sub at even 30Hz should do the trick. If that doesn’t work, I may just keep the sub and sell the N804s for a monitor speaker.
Timing is a key factor to the level of acoustic problems you can get in a room. When a loudspeaker has a faster response you will have less acoustic limitations.

B&W is not the fastest and their older series are even rather slow compared to most speakers today. A subwoofer can be a good option, but again you still need a sibwoofer with a fast response. Choose always for a  sealed subwoofer.

Even when a subwoofer has it's  own roomacoustic measurment system, it is still not in phase with the front loudspeaker.

You need a system what is able to measure both speakees and subwoofer togheter. In that situation you will always be able to outperfrom any loudspeaker system for the same money without a subwoofer.

The Rhythmik L12 is a subwoofer with a driver made of paper. Paper is an outdated material these days. Beside this paper has it’s own kind of sound. It is not the most natural soud.

You should have spend more money on a subwoofer if I were you. I would buy a subwoofer with a ceramic/aluminium coating.

Given that the B&Ws have aluminum tweeters, I wanted to compensate for that by a different type of material. Hopefully, it will be fine.