Is a Power Amp the Answer?

Hi Everyone…

I want to adjust my stereo system to sound extremely clear, virtually distortion-free, strong across all frequencies and loud, without having to turn the volume on my integrated receiver to 70. (More than that, distortion starts becoming apparent.) Plus, I’d like it to be louder, but I loose audiophile sound quality at louder levels with my current line-up.

I’m thinking that adding a power amp and hooking it up to my integrated amp might be the answer. I’ve never done this, don’t know how, and need your guys’ and gals’ input, please.

My current equipment:

Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp. 120/watts/channel; 80 db S/N ratio, phono stage, 100 db S/N ratio, Digital and LL.  http://www.rotel.com/product/ra-1570  

GoldenEar Triton Five loudspeakers.  90 db efficiency, 8 ohms, recommended amplification, 15-400 wpc. https://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series?gktab=3

(Also, for the record, Oppo BDP-105, Pioneer PL-550 turntable with Denon DL-110 cartridge, and V-LPS phono stage.)

Three questions, please:

1. Are my Rotel integrated amp and GoldenEar Triton Fives properly matched, in the sense of this: am I maximizing the features of both products, given their respective specifications. (I don’t know; I don’t understand this part of putting together a system whose synergies are maximized.)

2. I think I can use the Rotel as a preamp and match a 300-watt power amp to it to sound extremely clear, virtually distortion-free, strong across all frequencies and loud, without having to turn the volume on my integrated receiver to 70.

3. If the answer to question 2 is “yes,” what 300-watt power amp would any of you suggest up to $2,000.  (I looked at the reviews of the Emotiva XPA Gen3, but my it was priced at only $800. Of course, as an American, I’m thinking something must be wrong, since all the other power amps in that wattage class are significantly more expensive. Am I right, or is the Emotiva audiophile class?) https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-gen3

Thank you, everyone. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. So happy to be a part of this group.

Mark

128x128tritonmark
Thank you cedargrover. I don't understand your last paragraph . Are you saying purchasing one or two GoldenEar Forcefield 3 subs (which I am now highly considering, after reading all of these posts...but I don't know if the Rotel will let me connect 2 subs vs. one) will solve my initial problem, but then cause other issues? Thank you.
You're welcome.  My point is that once you get this big issue solved (i.e., being able to play your system at the volume you want), you are going to start focusing on smaller issues.  Those issues will lead you on a quest toward better amps, sources, cables, speakers, etc etc etc.  It's the way this hobby progresses for most people and not an attack on your system.  :)

It looks like the Forcefield 3 accepts speaker level inputs and has a speaker level high pass output.  You can easily set up two subs by using the speaker level inputs.

I note that the high pass for the mains and low pass for the sub use different slopes (6db/octave and 12db/octave, respectively) and the frequency of former is fixed (150hz--kinda high, imho, even for 6db/octave) and the latter is adjustable.  The upshot is that you're going to need dealer help to get the integration right in your room.  This is the sort of thing my dealer would come over and do with a mic and a realtime analyzer but, if you insist on DIY, I'd probably start with the sub low passed at 150hz and gradually reduce the sub crossover frequency until you perceive an even balance at your listening position.  You'll need test tones from low bass up to mid-bass, and then double check with recordings of acoustic bass (or the like) that you're familiar with.  

And of course, figuring out where to put the subs is a science all its own!  Another reason why a good dealer is invaluable.
Not crazy about GoldenEar subs, and then for any sub you are stuck with crossover issue to free speakers and amp of lowest bass at high volume. How about selling/trading your Triton Five for Three or Two models with powered subs built in?

Or, I have heard big Rotel amp make little B&W CM-1 speakers sound like big towers. If you like Rotel sound, look for used RB 1090.  Emotiva amps sound pretty good, dual Monoblocks could get a lot out of the Triton Fives.  Can you listen to Tritons Fives in showroom with really big amp to see if it gets you to volume and clarity levels you are looking for?