Random thoughts from a sort of, kind of audiophile

Random thoughts from a sort of, kind of audiophile.

I've been involved in this hobby off and on for over 55 years having started off building a monaural Heathkit amp and "sweet sixteen" speaker when I was in high school. Since then I've been through so many iterations and combinations of gear I probably could not list them all but, until recently, pursued mostly solid state upstream components and planar speakers. Now it's tubes and dynamic speakers that I prefer but have no arguments supporting either technology over the other for anyone but myself. For those who consider themselves audiophiles in the truest or most understood sense of the word, please dismiss what I'm saying here as ramblings of someone who is somewhat envious of those with superior abilities and the means to "perfect" their listening experience.

I know the words but don't have a well developed understanding of the audio enthusiast's vocabulary and I'm not convinced that everyone using some of these terms uses them with the same meaning either. I'm reluctant, therefor to use them myself. Those that I do use, like timbre, graininess, muddy, thin, tight, etc probably mean pretty much the same to most in the hobby.

From what I've read here on Audiogon, there seems only a few of us that have the luxury of a purpose built listening room so room balancing can be a real challenge. I didn't realize how important this was until I incorporated electronic measuring and setup equipment, especially when I was using large electrostatic speakers. Partly because of this, I suppose, is the reason I enjoy, almost to the point of preference, the nearfield setup in my garage as much as I do. Also, because much of my listening is to solo guitar, a wide soundstage presentation seems not only unnecessary but even unrealistic. I do enjoy good headphones but, again, the soundstage issue pops up; it sounds to me like the sound is coming from inside my head instead of from a guitarist sitting across the room in front of me.

My hearing is not as accurate or with the range of youth as many others' and I've been impressed/amazed at claims made by some regarding sound quality associated with differences between various components and setups. I'm sure, for example, that there is a measurable sonic difference between various comparably constructed interconnects and speaker cables but at what level are they actually discernible by the average listener? Is there anyone who can actually hear the difference between a one meter interconnect compared to one that is two meters long? I doubt it. What about elevating speaker cables? The advantage of elevating cables seems, no offense, bordering on fantasy, understanding of course, that those who use them are probably in a situation of having already maximized everything else in their setup.

What about power supply? Again, I cannot tell the difference between plugging into any old household outlet and one that is stabilized. I do have completely dedicated power circuitry with power management myself but mostly for a little added protection and because it conveniently acts as a large multiple outlet power strip.

I can't give a good reason for this post; it doesn't help anyone except, I suppose, to let those in the same place I am to realize that they're not alone with these same issues. I realize, also, that these comments may have more to do with my own listening shortcomings and not meant to be judgmental of those who are not so burdened.

My current main system consists of the following:

Source - Apple TV - CAL Sigma DAC - Peachtree pre - Cary Audio Rocket 88R - Reference 2 Serie MMC speakers.
OR: Theta Basic CD transport - Theta Pro DAC - speakers as above......and it sounds really good.

Some pretty old stuff but, then, so am I.

128x128broadstone
I am 69 and been doing this insane hobby for about 50 years.  Have 6 hi end systems spanning two homes.  Still work from home as a lawyer with a fabulous near field system at my work desk.  Can't live without music in my life as a constant.  Getting too old for live rock, but god I love the stuff in my home.  Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this discussion.  And also how age has allowed me to sample all kinds of music I never listened to when younger.  Have developed a real love of female voices with jazz ensembles, Frank Sinatra has become a constant in my life, and country music, who would have thought.  Starting to discover the old jazz greats now.  Life is great as long as we have music.
Great posts. I feel the same way as many. Just turned 50 in 2016. Love music since my early teens but was never able to afford anything great growing up in Eastern Europe. Many years later I re-discovered music and now my house has a collection on 70-80 gear (Kenwood, Marantz, Yamaha,Sansui and Pioneer - all top models) as well as high efficiency speakers and tube equipment. Over 2500 Lps and growing...
The greatest part of teh journey to me is threefold:
- met a lot of interesting and mostly nice people (at one point was buying stuff off of Craigslist, etc)
- Lerned about Jazz, Classical, early rock, folk, etc.
- Share all the above with my amazingly understanding wife who comes to the NYC audio show every year with me and my buddies

Enjoy the wonderful gift of music and the good firtune we all have to be able to enjoy the amazing technological achievements of the human mind and imagination.

stringreen,

I am empathetic to your hearing loss/situation.

Just wondering if you can pinpoint a moment in time, thinking back, in which all of those who relied on your history/recommendations, can now think... I should not take that post into account as far as my buying decisions are concerned.?

It would seem to me that (you) should take this matter ON and make it a personal priority to reclaim any prior referral a (now) non-referral.

How many buying decisions/products did you make based upon your lack of hearing well?

Cheers!