floor standing speakers for surrounds?

I am looking for options on using floor standing speakers for my back two channels instead of book shelfs. does a full range signal go to the surround channels? or would this be wasting my money?

thank you
bill
baranowski
I found an anthem statement p5 amp and purchased it. It might be a damn shame to use the two channels(amp) just for bookshelf speakers. also i have a few extra speakers and was going to experiment with 7.1 instead of 5.1... which channel should i amp with the anthem? the side two or rear two?

thanks
Bill
Side channels with the anthem. Rear channels are far less important. The P5 is a very nice amp. I assume you have a better amp for your fronts?

Finally, Star Wars Episode III opening scene is a great test for your surround channels and to make sure everything is working and setup properly.
Better amp for my fronts? i use the p5 for the front three and the two sides.
am i missing something? a better amp? i was under the impression the p5 was a "better" amp

Bill
07-30-12: Baranowski
"Better amp for my fronts? i use the p5 for the front three and the two sides.
am i missing something? a better amp? i was under the impression the p5 was a "better" amp"

It's okay. Your Anthem P5 is a wonderful amp so don't worry yourself. Many on this forum(me included) and other music lovers elsewhere, prefer to use a "better" stereo amp for the mains for the times when they want "maximum" sound quality for 2-channel listening from there HT system. I am sure your P5 will be equal to or even trump some other stereo amps in it's price range.

Bill
I as under the impression that after getting to a higher quality amp, the differences between the amps is more a matter how how they make the speaker sound. not so much a "better" amp just more preference on what the listener wants.