SET amp comparable to First Watt SIT 1?

I’m currently planning to change my speakers to high efficiency horn from modern high end speakers (B&W). The speakers would be Volti horn speakers.

For amp, A friend of mine has First Watt SIT-1, which sounds great to my ears, but I have always been interested in tube SET, especially 300B. The problem is there are too many choices around, and I have read several online reviewers stated that 300B amps don’t sound as good as First Watt SIT 1, except extremely expensive ones with NOS WE300B.

Any suggestions?

My budget is around 7-15K. I don’t mind second hand ones, but I wish I could compare it with my friend’s SIT 1 before I decide to take it or not, so second hand unit is probably not an option.
tmare
Charles,

The XLS variant of the 300B can be used in a straight 300B circuit, with normal 300B power output. Used in an amp configured to leverage the XLS tube's higher power potential, it takes on slightly different character but sounds impressive nevertheless. ~18w of premium 300B sound is nice. I'm right now able to compare Takatsuki, the EML 300B XLS and the KR 300B balloon in both Audion Golden Dream and the Luxman Anniversary MQ300 SET amp. The three tubes have roughly the same influences on both amps, but each amp imposes its signature on all three tubes as well. For me, the KR 300B prevails as the most objective and the most dynamic of the three tubes. The Takatsuki is very nice and is the most euphonic of the three but without bloat. The EML is the noisiest and the least consistent in octave-to-octave consistency, but these are not vast differences. Actionable but not vast.

I abandoned the EML tubes for chronic noise and reliability troubles. Perhaps you got better samples than me. The KRs take a licking and keep on ticking. I haven't enough time with Takasuki to judge but their build quality suggests great long-term stability and durability.

Phil
I owned the Audiopax 88 before I fully committed to Audion SET and PSET in my systems. The 88 is a beautiful sounding amp, though it is hardest to get deep bass to sound right. If you have speakers that have nothing usable below 40Hz or so, this isn't any problem.

The main contemporary problem with going Audiopax 88 is the sound quality of current production KT88 tubes. I was fortunate at the time to have an ample quantity of NOS British Gold Lion (Genelex) KT88s, as well as 1990s KR KT88s, ultra-screened from the old Tesla Vrovosic factory and relabeled KR. Both seriously improved the sound of the Apax 88 compared with any Russian production tetrodes. I let the Apaxes hang around awhile and pulled them out from time to time to try new tubes. They were pretty good with the Shuguang Treasure KT88, but still not up to NOS sonics.

So, that's what you have to consider going that route. Look at the price of remaining NOS Genelex/Gold Lion KT88s from the 1960s/70s or KRs from the 1990s, before making that commitment.

Phil
Hello Phil,
I'm inclined to believe my EMLs were from a better batch than yours based on your comments.  I've alternated between my Takatsuki and EML XLS the past few years.  In my amplifier the EML have been simply stellar,  workhorse reliable and as quiet as any 300b I've used. There were subtle distinctions between the the KR and EML with the latter a bit more vibrant, open, alive and engaging. I certainly trust your judgement and listening impressions,  but again different set of ears,amplifier, system and room environment. IMO both are top tier choices. 

Tmare, 
I was actually suggesting you talk with the builder of  the  Volti and see what he may suggest in terms of Your room and musical tastes. I'm sure that he would provide worthwhile insight regarding his two speakers and your objectives.
Charles 
You may have already considered a Line Magnetic  product, if not here is a couple for your consideration.
There are many reviews on line, that you should be able to get an idea of the characteristics of each amp.

http://www.toneimports.com/lmaudio/210ia.html
http://www.toneimports.com/lmaudio/219ia.html
http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/products/products.htm
http://sophiaelectric.com/
Phil, Charles, et al.

I am a fan of the Takatsukis, but have not heard the Balloon KR 300b. That said, I can attest to the longevity of the Takatsukis. I have been using the same pair for about 5 years without any issues. I was fortunate to source a couple of pairs from Japan at a reasonable cost when they were first released. I have also found the dealers in Japan to be very accommodating - but the current price is steep and not negotiable.

While we tend to talk about output tubes and their variations, recently I have been trying different 6922/7308/etc. driver tubes and have been impressed by the impact - at least in my amplifier (custom made Ancient Audio 300b SET). I am currently using a carefully matched pair of Amperex white label, PQ shield 6922s. The difference is not subtle.

Gary