What SS preamp compares to a tube preamp

I'm not sure I want to make this change, but only exploring options. I would like to keep this purchase under $3000 new or used and I think that's about the price point to make it worthwhile.....not sure though.
I started with a few AVR's, then went to a B&K ref 50 which is very nice, finally to a VTL 2.5. I'm currently using the VTL but with the price of some tubes I'm considering going back to solid state. I have a few tubes that sound really nice, Mullard 4003, 4024, 1950's Siemens, Valvo, Brimar, etc....I have found good sound but there's always a compromise. Once I hit the right mid range, I lose some top end, sometimes vice-versa. Also the gain on the 2.5 is excessive, fair amount of hiss and I know tube rush is a side effect but this is just excessive gain... 20 db. I have tried attenuators but they take a little top end from the sound.

I'm not giving up on tubes, but just would like to hear what others have tried that have been in this situation. I don't need HDMI but would be nice, mainly would like a remote. I don't think an AVR can do what I want but maybe a dedicated preamp.

I thought about an Anthem but they have mixed reviews.....not really sure where to look.

All input and criticism appreciated.
dyl71
" Yeah, go ahead and do as they say, just don't blame me for waisted $3k."

That makes absolutely no sense. Your advice is to not buy a preamp. If the OP goes out and buys a new preamp and isn't happy with it, why would you be blamed for the mistake? 

Had you not said anything, I'm sure your post would have been completely forgotten, or at the very least, overlooked.

Have you considered a Hybrid? Tube drivers with Mosfet output stage.
You could get the benefits of both Tube and Solid State technologies.

Rogue Audio makes a very good one within your budget. Ypsilon Electronics makes one of the best ones on the planet which is way outside your budget. I only mention it so you can get a sense of the range of products being produced with this type of technology. I have heard both, and Rouge makes an excellent representation of the technology. 

I have heard many credible reviews for the Ayre gear, however getting to actually hear one has eluded me. Getting to audition one has proven to be quite a challenge. I also believe they are above your budget, but if given the opportunity I would highly recommend checking it out.

This said, I am curious about companies that claim that their frequency responses are DC to 150KHZ ++, or as I like to say -  DC to Infinity and Beyond. The few that I have heard making these claims have fallen way short of  anything musical.

Good Luck
I never liked the example "tube like" for countless reasons.

If you want smooth amplification try some Classe's. I personally expect to go back to one. I have heard many utter those words "its very tube like". Yes exactly, only without the colouration ;)  
Tubes have varying degrees of coloration as do transistor components.  It just depends on what type of sound you are seeking.  They error in different directions along the sonic spectrum. 
Good luck, 
Charles