What SS preamp compares to a tube preamp

I'm not sure I want to make this change, but only exploring options. I would like to keep this purchase under $3000 new or used and I think that's about the price point to make it worthwhile.....not sure though.
I started with a few AVR's, then went to a B&K ref 50 which is very nice, finally to a VTL 2.5. I'm currently using the VTL but with the price of some tubes I'm considering going back to solid state. I have a few tubes that sound really nice, Mullard 4003, 4024, 1950's Siemens, Valvo, Brimar, etc....I have found good sound but there's always a compromise. Once I hit the right mid range, I lose some top end, sometimes vice-versa. Also the gain on the 2.5 is excessive, fair amount of hiss and I know tube rush is a side effect but this is just excessive gain... 20 db. I have tried attenuators but they take a little top end from the sound.

I'm not giving up on tubes, but just would like to hear what others have tried that have been in this situation. I don't need HDMI but would be nice, mainly would like a remote. I don't think an AVR can do what I want but maybe a dedicated preamp.

I thought about an Anthem but they have mixed reviews.....not really sure where to look.

All input and criticism appreciated.
dyl71
Probably McIntosh will be a best bet. Most of them come with tone controls, with will allow you to adjust sound further to your liking.

Vintage Sansui CA 2000 
Three way tone controls bass mid treble with turnovers for bass and treble high low filters dual phono inputs for turntable flutter and siblance. Two amplifier outputs with a selector amp 1 or 2 or both for bi amp.  Its a nice vintage piece easily obtained for $500 to $700 in mint .
Its a nice looking piece as well.  
Listening now. Jazz 88.3. NYC.
" I enjoy the liquidity and richness of the tubes, I do like the detail of the SS preamps also....tough call."

After reading that, I thought I'd comment on the Ayre K-5 a bit more. Liquidity in an audio component is difficult to define. But the first thing that comes to mind, at least for me, when listening to Ayre in general, is liquidity. Its the cleanest, purest, most liquid SS gear I've ever heard. There's a complete lack of anything that sounds mechanical or electrical. But you still need to listen to it first. While it does have some traits that tubes are known for, you wouldn't mistake it for a tube preamp. You wouldn't mistake it for a typical SS preamp either. I have yet to hear any other brand, tube or SS, that sounds like Ayre. Because of its unique sound, I would say the Ayre is a must audition before you make a decision.