Mark Levinson No. 20.6 vs. Krell KRS 200 vs. Krell KAS

Hi Everyone:

I am PERHAPS Contemplating Selling My ML No. 20.6's to Purchase a Set of Krell KRS 200's which I have always wanted. I am though Very Satisfied with the Sound of My 20.6's and I am afraid, that although the KRS 200's will undoubtedly improve the Bass Area, that this improvement will come at the expense of Fine Micro-detailing, where I believe, that the 20.'6s are some of the best amps perhaps ever produced.

I am from Europe, so I would like a 220-240V Version of the KRS 200's, Which is also what I have read, gives the best results sound-wise. Regarding though, which Power-Installation I should install, then I would like to ask, that since these Amps have a Power Consumption of 160Watts EACH, what kind of Breakers should I install in my house? I've heard, that if you install too small Breakers, then they will either have the Breakers cut out or they will sound too "Thin" and/or  "Hungered" for more Power. But what are "Too Small" Breakers? Would a Dedicated 20 Amp Breaker for EACH Amp be enough? I could install both 30, 40 or 50 Amp Breakers, but I have to say, that I Very Rarely Hear music at Loud Volumes. I Prefer to sit late at night and hear music at fairly low levels, so the question is, where to stop Breaker-wise? Perhaps both 30 and 40 Amp. Breakers is still Recommendable as well as Wise, but the question is, whether a 50 Amp Breaker for EACH Amp, isn't Overdoing it??? What do you guys say?

What is Your oppinions about this? Have any of you heard both The 20.6's and the KRS 200's either together side by side or with some time-span in between?

Another Question is regarding the KRS 200's in comparison to The KAS's. Some say that The KRS 200's are The Best Pure Class A Amps, Krell has ever made, but how does it compare to the KAS's, which have Sustained Plateau Biasing instead?

Any and Every Comments and Experiences are Very Welcome.

Have a Great Audio Day.

Sincerely Thomas.

128x128ferrari365gtb
Hi audiotroy,

Years ago, I heard a T&A amp with some Focals in the system at Synergistic Research’s sound lab and the rig sounded fantastic.

There are always better amps or whatever, but IME it is not necessary to spend $19k to get a great sounding amplifier.

Best to you audiotroy,
Dave

Hi Dave:

Again Thanks So Much for your Wonderful Comment. The Krell FPB600 Has Gotten a Very Very Good Review I Believe it was in Stereophile, where they basically couldn’t imagine a Better Amplifier, The ML No. 33 (Which I BTW Never Liked for Many Reasons) Aligned it soundwise they said, which they had never thought would happen, THAT’S how good the FPB600 Apparently was. Funny Enough, The Only Krell I’ve EVER Heard, was a couple of FPB450Mcx’s, when I was in Hong Kong in 2006, picking up my at the time Dream Amplifiers, namely The Stax DMA-X2 Monoblocks (It’s a long story!!!). The Krell 450Mcx's Played in a Sea of highend audio, some guitar-music, but I don’t know what speakers they were playing on and they weren’t set up for listening seriously, but I do remember, that the sound was Crystal Clear.

Nop, you didn’t miss my mentioning my speakers, because I didn’t. I run the 20.6's through My ULTRA RARE Stax ELS-F83X Electrostatic Speakers, which I bought in 2007 and there hasn’t been a Speaker, which in my opinion has beat it since. They are fairly ineffective, I believe at 89db’s and I believe they run at 4 Ohms, at least Average, so they are a fairly difficult load, but not excessively. The two, ML and Stax are a Match made in heaven. I had a pair of Pass XA160.5’s attached to them before and thus when I later bought the 20.6’s, you wouldn’t believe it, but the Bass Bettered Significantly. The 20.’6s have a Very Very Special Precise and "Golden" Sound, which no other amp, that I have ever heard has had. That is why, I don’t believe, that the KRS’s will better the sound in the areas, where I feel, the ML sound is so strong. Only the Bass, I am sure they will, but still I would just love to be able to have the KRS’s in my livingroom, although I’ll probably regret it, if it means, that i have to sell my 20.6’s.

Lot’s of Audio Grettings to you Dave.

Sincerely Thomas.

Hi Audiotroy:

I will Certainly Give The T+A a listen, before I decide.

Thanks a Lot.

Sincerely Thomas.

Hi Thomas,

If you want ’em, you want ’em. I might recommend that you start another thread on "Best amps for Stax" or similar before you move forward.

Best to you Thomas,
Dave

Hi Dave:

You may be right about that. I'll certainly consider it, Thanks Dave.

Best to you yourself.

BTW: If you feel, that you are missing some aspects with the FPB600c, have YOU then thought about changing out in that department and if so, then what?