Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

oblgny-

did you own any prior Pass Labs power amp(s) ?

How did you arrive onto the X-150.5 ?

There is one here for $2500. I am pondering about the .5 vs .8

series power amps.  Happy Listening!

Jafant...

My first Pass design amplifier was a First Watt M2 which up until then struck me as one of the most colorless amps I'd owned.  Rated at 40 watts per channel into my 4ohm Thiels I assumed having more power, the headroom at least, was a wiser route to head in, especially since I've not let up on searching for a pair of 3.6's or above.  There's a pair of 7's listed here for $2200 - but the seller cannot ship!

Within two or three weeks I returned the M2 for a full credit toward the X150.5 which was then $2300, methinks.  The one I just got was $2700 with a 1 year warranty and the seller covered the shipping.  I've mentioned before how idiotic it was of me to sell off my first, and that won't happen again.  I find Thiel and Pass to be extraordinarily well suited for one another. 

The M2 introduced me to Mr. Pass's approach to amplification architecture, and I have to add that I find his candor, philosophy, and attitude very refreshing. I've also found that I like buying products from a guy with his name on the box. My appreciation for Thiel at first was the product only, but as I grew more familiar with his story I appreciate these speakers all the more. As I've mentioned before they've absolutely become my reference point for loudspeakers. 

Anyway, I believe I had an ARC LS2b preamp at that time along with a cheap Pro-Ject phono preamp. (I like ARC, too.). The difference between the M2 and the X150.5?  Sonically speaking I could not discern a difference; all that clean, uncolored, presence was on equal terms for me. Were I to downsize - heaven forbid - I would not hesitate to buy another First Watt amp. 

I've been eyeballing a Pass X.01 pre just listed here for $1800, but I can't entirely justify it because a.) I don't really need it and b.) I really like my B. A. T. preamp. And c.) the holidays are here and my girlfriend might kill me if I buy another piece of equipment. 

Just for the absolute hell of it I just bought a Khozmo passive preamp and have been listening to it for a couple of days now. I had a passive back in '14 and I should'a kept that. Anyway, thinking how articulate my Thiels and Pass combine to be, I figgered why not toss a passive in the mix?  The results?

Wow - with some caveats I'm still wrapping my ears around, but my thinking was well rewarded. Everything's a little "brighter" altogether, but the separation and clarity are what I was hoping for. Heck, $300 for a little s'perimenting is a bargain in this hobby ain't it?

Good reads folks, keep 'em coming. 
Jafant...

I see the listing is from a fellow member with 100% positive feedback here,  AND he bought the piece from Mark @ Reno where I've bought my 3 units. Very good retailer. 

It it seems like a fair price overall but you would be the 3rd owner without the benefit of any warranty.  Mark covered the shipping on my second X150.5 in recognition of my return business. (Or my idiocy for selling off my first. He laughed when I related my story.)

The listing you saw would incur another $75 in PayPal fees plus shipping and insurance which would add approximately that much, bringing it to at least $2650?  This thing is HEAVY, thank god for those handles on the rear. 

Why don't you drop Mark a line and get on his "waiting list" for one?  I've read your post wishing for your system to come together by 2017...

For the record,  I'll be turning 60 in another month give or take, so while I'm not compiling a bucket list I do think I've more or less hit upon a system that I can't do a helluva lot more with in terms of my definition of "excellence."  I consider myself rather fortunate to have discovered Thiel, and subsequently Pass, and having the resources to explore them both. I'm pretty much done for all intents and purposes methinks. Save for cabling and perhaps preamp explorations, I can't see how much more expenditures could return improvements to a great extent. 

..."and you know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill..."  Little Feat - "Old Folks Boogie"

Listen up Thiel reveals!
As always, very helpful- oblgny.
I will probably seek out an opportunity to demo the Pass Labs amp, prior, to any purchase. Specifically, I want to demo the .5 and .8 amps to discern a difference (if any exists).

Keep me posted as you massage your PL into the rig.
Happy Listening!