Is OPPO losing it's way?

Their new 'upgrade' Sonica DAC is using the new ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Dac; while the new
UHD player UDP-203 uses the new AKM (4458). What gives? Why not just use the best for both-especially with the promise of UHD?
ptss
On a related note, the oppo "store" http://oppodigital.com/products.asp really leaves something to be desired. Not that I'm in the market for it, but why should only the 103 model blue ray players be listed and even then are out-of-stock? Where is the 105? Where is their inventory?
Just about all manufacturers stop building last years model just before the new model comes out. Oppo probably has inventory left of the 103.
The analog output stages have a much bigger impact on the sound quality than the DAC chip, IMHO. I have an OPPO 95 and have never been very impressed with the sound from it's analog outputs. The same digital (from the Oppo) processed through my Bryston BDA-1 sounds a whole lot better, because the analog output circuits in the Bryston are far superior.

The Oppo 103 was never designed to be a high end analog out player.  The 103 was mainly designed to be used with a Pre-pro.  Same with the new 203 player.  The analog outputs are just throw ons.  However, the AKM DAC chip you mention is way better than the 8 channel Cirrus DAC used in the 103....so I would expect better sound quality.  So this is an upgrade.....not anyone losing their way.  In fact, with mods it could be killer.  However, the even better analog out machine (UDP-503) will be out next year some time.  I expect it to have ESS9038 DACs for both two channel and multichannel (we shall see).  Oppos power supply parts, output stages, coupling caps, clocks, etc. are not state of the art.  This is why modding Oppos make such a great improvement.  There will be several of us modding the Sonica DAC and also both new UDP players.

There are no more 103Ds or 105Ds available (except for dealers trying to rip you off on the very last ones).  Please wait for the new models if you really have to have an Oppo or find one used.

@ricevs given your opinion that a modification can make a great improvement, may I ask whom (company, etc.) might you recommend to make such a modification and and what cost? Also, does the modification come with a warranty (because Oppo's would be voided)?