What do audiophiles want from a cable?

What should a high quality interconnect or speaker cable do to the sound of a system? Make it more transparent? Improve the sound stage and focus? Soften unpleasant highs? Tighten the base? Bring out the mids?

To me, a good cable should reveal more of what is on the recording and more of the true nature of my components. So when trying new cables, I look for more detail and accuracy without becoming cold and clinical. This seems logical, and yet after reading reviews and trying a few of the cables in the reviews, I find that the cables that have received glowing endorsements are not especially transparent or revealing. They modify the sound, but they don’t take me where I want to go. I wonder if the reason I don’t hear what the reviewer heard is that I don’t know what to listen for. Am I too focused on cable accuracy and resolution, and not enough on actual sound quality? Or is it just a case of no two systems sounding alike so why trust a review anyway? Thanks.
mward
waxwaves, perhaps you're right.
i sometimes develop ignorance towards business that is too far away from truth.
I,like many others on this forum believe that cables should be looked upon as you would any other component in your system.
I wish I didn't hear differences in cables because I would have saved a lot of money in the changes i've made and no one wants to have  un-necessary expenditures.
So this post is for the argumentative naysayers out there.
I agree that you haven't heard differences in cables but have you ever asked yourself why you haven't ??
With so many knowledgable posters stating the importance of using the correct cable in their system. Have you ever thought ,what is preventing you from hearing a difference.
I'm sure we all have auditioned various components at a dealers showroom and either purchased or had a home audition of the component that we thought was great (we do use this word much to much) only to find this great component doesn't thrill you as it did in the showroom.Now why would that be ? Interaction with the room ? not compatible with your associated equipment or maybe its the cables that was used at the showroom which you refuse to admit might make the difference.
So if you are happy with your system,wonderful.
I do wonder why you argue that if you don't hear it then nobody can
hear it
Enjoy

goldenera, see my long post above, but in brief...

1. are the differences real? - use a double-blind test to see (I've done this with turntables and there are differences for sure)

2. were the differences caused by re-connection or by the cable itself? - again, do a test - the connection might have had some corrosion on it

3. are the differences really improvements?

4. if yes, to all above, then are the improvements cost-effective relative to things that are known to matter greatly (such as speaker freq. response; room treatments; phase delay, etc.)

in sum, I have tested these things for decades and cables are about the last thing to do (usually); interconnects would come after speaker cables

FWIW, I have Kimber on my speakers - and I got them at a very large discount - I consider having them bi-amped to be more important
"...I have tested these things for decades and cables are about the last thing to do (usually); interconnects would come after speaker cables"

"FWIW, I have Kimber on my speakers - and I got them at a very large discount - I consider having them bi-amped to be more important"

Randy, we learn only two things from all of the posts you have made:

1) You are an objectivist and an extremely slow learner.
2) Your simple single reply to the OP’s question, "What do audiophiles want from a cable?", could have graciously been, "Whatever is most heavily discounted".

No insult or disrespect is intended to my friend Ray Kimber nor to his fine cable products.

Best to you Randy,
Dave