UP-OCC solid core copper for speaker cable

After reading about all these expensive cables and their extravagant claims, I decided to source the same wire that goes into many of them.

I have my monoblocs underneath and therefore close to the speakers. I ordered 8 feet of 14awg UP-OCC wire (with PTFE insulation) online. It is quite springy so I clamped it gently to the bench and cut it into 4 equal lengths. Assembling it into 2 x 24" speaker cables took a few minutes. I kept it running in the same direction, just in case. Be careful to gently slice the insulation and not to scar the copper.

Anyway, the improvement in sound quality was of a high order. Large increases in speed and transparency, more air, better definition of instruments, less coloration, backing voices I never noticed before etc. The improvement in musicality was impressive.

I urge folks to try this before spending lots of money on speaker cables. I don't bother with connectors as I feel they are another item in the way but that's your call. The wire was $6 a foot.

Available here:http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_neotech_copper_teflon.html

See a photo of my cable here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6iot28p0weuwytn/up-occ.jpg?dl=0
128x128noromance
I’m bumping this article (if that is okay) as there are a lot of folks still blowing too much money on very expensive cables.
Here is a new link to the wire: http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_neotech_cu_tef_sc.html
I found this on a cable review for Zenwave at AVREV.com and thought it would pertain here:

First let’s start with the basic raw materials that all cables require, the metal. According to Dave Cahoon, “Neotech supplies lots of cable manufacturers, the highest end...if you google UPOCC audio cables pretty much every cable company that comes up will be using Neotech's wire or completed cables. Neotech is the only company producing wire using the OCC patented process, Furukowa used to but stopped in 2013 in favor of a less costly process. Also, many cable companies built their reputation using Neotech wire, then switched to a cheaper alternative.”

So it seems you can buy Neotech for a pittance and terminate it your way, splurging on the terminations if desired, and have a pretty good cable by any measure.

Having said that, I'm not parting with my Zu Event speaker cables. :-)

All the best,
Nonoise

I need to get into the cable-building business. Folks still willing to blow huge money on cables instead of improvinv their source and other components.
Wow, a resurrection of an old thread.  Yes, I totally agree, Neotech cable is completely outstanding.  Though, it will be difficult to try to get into a cable building business.  A huge part of it is marketing and perception.  Also, resale value on boutique hand-made cables is going to be tough for audio end-users.  At this point, they are more likely to go to brand names because of both resale and perception.  It's a total misnomer because I can build a cable for less than $100 materials that will beat $2k cables.  My own opinion of course.

dragon_vibe,

have you tried the neotech rectangular cable? the Amazon and the Sahara and if you have what is your opinion? there's a new company that has come into the audio industry called Infigo audio they're using ofc conductors in their wire and some of the reviews said it's better than OCC single Crystal I highly doubt it.