What interconnects are you guys using for bi-wiring speakers? I need a Y XLR based cable.

I'm using 802 D3s and krell amps.  I want to use two amp channels per speaker.  Just wanted to know what you guys were using for this and where to get a good cable that sounds good.

Thanks in advance.

mgould

I did some more thinking on this thread.

@eniac26 - wow, I have never seen a normal 2-channel preamp that has more than one "active" XLR output.  That Classe CP-800 is pretty unique in this sense!

@mgould - Looking at your Marantz 8802A, it actually appears that there is a configuration that allows you to use two outputs for a bi-amp situation.  If you go to pages 233 and 237 of the 8802A manual, you can see that you can change the Amp Assign Mode to "9.1ch (Bi-Amp)".  It will allow to you select one of three different channels to use as the "bi-amp" channel (either "Front Wide", "Height1" or "Surround Back").

http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/AV8802AU_ENG_CD-ROM_UG_v01A_New.pdf

stringreen
It is SOOO much better to use a better stereo amp than it is to bi -amp.
That depends on the speakers. And the amplifiers. And of course, some speakers require biamplification; they can't be used with just a single stereo amp.

auxinput

wow, I have never seen a normal 2-channel preamp that has more than one "active" XLR output. That Classe CP-800 is pretty unique in this sense!

It's not unique at all, it's very common. For example, just about every ARC preamp offers two XLR outputs. That's really useful for those who use biamplifaction.
Cleeds, note that he said more than one "active" XLR output. I interpret that to mean he was referring to the two output connectors on each channel each being driven by its own dedicated output stage, which appears to be the case for the Classe CP-800. But based on schematics I’ve seen at arcdb.ws most or all ARC line stages and preamps which provide two XLR outputs drive both of them from the same output stage, and simply jumper the two connectors together internally. I believe that the same holds true for the great majority of preamps and line stages from other manufacturers which provide two pairs of XLR outputs, and for RCA outputs as well.

In those cases the preamp’s output stage will have to drive the input impedances of both of the power amp inputs to which it is connected, just as if a splitter were used.

And the results could actually be worse than using a splitter, because if a short splitter is placed near the two amp inputs the cable capacitance seen by the preamp’s output stage would essentially be just the capacitance of one cable rather than two. The splitter approach being most likely to provide better results if the preamp’s output impedance is high at high frequencies, and if cable length is long (cable capacitance is proportional to length), and if the cables do not have low capacitance per unit length. In that situation some degree of rolloff and/or undesirable phase shifts may occur in the upper treble region if two long cables are used, which could be avoided or minimized if a short splitter is used in combination with a single long cable.

Regards,
-- Al

I don't know much about tube preamps because most of what I have dealt with are solid-state preamps and processors.  I had seen some DACs and preamps that do have separate actual output circuits for XLR and RCA, however, they are all opamp-based and it's really easy and cheap to just plop in another opamp to drive RCA outputs (and just chain them from the same input stage).  In the case of discrete circuits or tube preamps, the manufacturer will have to design and allocate space for an entirely separate tube output stage (in the case of discrete, this could mean another 5" x 5" section of the board or more).  This is definitely expensive for the manufacturers to support a situation that might happen 5% of the time.  Al may be correct in his statement.  That being said, you're right in the sense that ARC (and BAT now that I look) do have multiple XLR outputs.