HOLO Audio Spring DAC: Affordable discrete R2R Multibit Dac, could be a winner.

Many manufacturers are going back to R2R Multibit d/a conversion, a good portion of audiophiles are saying it sounds better than the cheaper d/a conversion of Delta Sigma, (1 bit), Bitstream, Saber. etc.
And it says it uses dual R2R’s Multibits to support DSD natively!!? 

Product Description:This new DAC.”Spring” is the first design of a new era, a milestone for HOLO Audio’s own Jeff Zhu. It’s a full discrete R2R type of audio decoder and does not have off the shelf-DAC chip! This is a bespoke custom-designed core DAC module and truly a breakthrough with technology for any DAC chip today. The Spring is here to achieve new heights, new dynamics and simply a full spectrum of audio to please the aural senses. This Dac has been called the poor mans Total Dac / MSB / Wavedream / Chord Dave Etc. It plays with the big boys.

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/springdacbase/

Looks amazing inside for $1,700. Schiit Yaggi better watch out!!!!

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi
George, Since you called me a computer geek, I’ll call you a poor reader. :) Why would you say I had no 44k/96/192/DXD (i.e PCM) comments about how it sounds. Nearly all of my examples (Radiohead, Gillian Welch, Keith Richards, Bill Frisell, etc) were redbook or 24 bit PCM examples, played back in NOS mode (i.e same sample rate as music source). I explained the timbre and dynamics of the PCM playback, etc. What did you want?

And I have also stated that I am getting the Yiggy in Wednesday (shipped today from a generous CA member).
Hey! it wasn't just me that said it was a poor review, regarding how it sounded. Over on the SNA forums they are saying the same.

Cheers George

I have had my Kitsune level 3 DAC burning in for 3 weeks.

Relaxed,detailed and full come to mind. The most important attribute in my system is TONE and not to the expense of detail.
the Holo spring delivers this in spades with a huge soundstage. The highs have a really nice analog liquid quality which allows the music to be layer out in front of you. Everything is palpable without being forced or fatiguing. Bass is full and enveloping. Dynamics are riveting.

One can say that all described above are traits of R2R which is true when well implemented. I just want to listen to more music as it sounds like music!

I will have a chance to compare it with an MSB diamond which would be interesting and I may have a chance of comparing it to a T&A DAC 8, however this is not confirmed.

I took a punt on this DAC as an early adopter and I held my breath on first listen as you can emagine..... all I can say is that I am very very pleased that I have. Tim at Kitsune has been a pleasure to deal with and I can't reccomend him highly enough.

I have absolutely no involvement with Holo or Kitsune and the DAC was purchased with my own hard earned money.
pixelplay

Good review of the sound got with this dac in just 2 paragraphs.
I take it with PCM, 16/44 or 24/96 or DXD?.
Later one doing DSD would be nice as well if you have any?

Cheers George   
Thanks George,
PCM 16/44, I have tried upsampling via HQplayer to both 352.8 pcm with very good results. My current computer is just not powerful enough to do high res Dsd. 

I must add add to my thoughts above that I am feeding the DAC with a uRendu via USB. I will be adding a Singxer Su-1 just to see what it will add via i2s 

Cheers
greg