Urgently need your input.

After what seemed like days of research I ordered the Onkyo HT-RC270 and received it 12 22 11. Thinking was that this would do everything I needed. Do not plan to hook it up for several days but after reading most of this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

am concerned about the risk.
Long story short it seems that Onkyo had a Quality Control problem with this receiver and many others (C270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 ) The problem is that many stop responding to commands from remote and the front panel. Apparently the only solution is to send in for service. This problem does not necessarily occur quickly. Many report problems after a year or more of no problems.

In order to install this unit I have to do a considerable amount of labor due to my cabinet.

Questions:
Should I
1 Just send it back to Amazon?
2 Call Onkyo and see what they can tell me based on serial no.?
3 Just set it up and see what happens.

At this moment I am leaning toward returning the unit.

I use seperate amps (Bryston 3B-ST front, Harman Kardon surrounds and zone 2)

Looking for a ht receiver with at least:

2zones
4 hdmi 1.3 in and 1 or 2 out
Audyssey EQ
5.1 analogue in
analogue in for all inputs

What would be a comparable unit that has a good track record but stays within a budget under $600?
Your advise appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
scoly1
Tough risk vs reward call.

There's this thread in which KR4 and others recommend an Integra, but I also noticed that an Integra was included in the avs forum problem list.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1321734133&openfrom&2&4

I agree with MI, try #2 first. Onkyo is an established, high-volume company and this model is still for sale. So the odds may be in your favor since you likely have a later production run.

Then if you're handy with this and can do so without leaving any marks, I would be inclined to pop the cover and look around carefully for any signs of oxidation or other issues. (The avsforum descriptions suggest a post-production storage and handling problem and maybe not a design problem)

It seems your unit has good features value for the cost,
So if it checked out I'd probably buy the extended warranty and just go with it.

In any event, hope you have great music throughout the holidays.
Appreciate the input. Have sent onkyo support the question and hope to hear back sometime next week. Don't know if I can wait for them. Anxious!
Sandman
May think about opening it up if they don't have any type seal that has to be broken. Feel sure I can do it without marks. As to the oxidation, what exactly do I look for? The feature set/cost is what led me to this receiver to begin with.
If I do send it back I am leaning toward the Denon 2311ci.
Any other suggestions?
Happy Holidays to all.
Steve
Well I had the Onkyo 875 and it died within 6 weeks--- Bought a Denon 4308. I really thought the sound from the Onkyo was more dynamic and just plain better overall but the guy whom has the contract from Onkyo is an actual butcher. / I wouldn't let him fix an empty soda can. So, therefore my Onkyo still sits 3 years later.
Scoly,
I just waded through more of the 44+ pages of discussion on avsforum and must say that it gave me pause. Not sure I've seen that much solid documentation of a product flaw by long term forum contributers, and lack of adequate response from a mfr. in quite a while.

Suggest you don't let delays by Onkyo support cause your product return period to expire, and if you don't like absolutely everything that you hear from them, forgo everything else and bail.

Even if the Denon costs you a couple of hundred more from a local authorized dealer, life is too short and peace of mind is valuable.

Best,

Send it back to amazon, at once, since they pick up the shipping cost. Then buy a refurb directly from onkyo, often for about 50% less then you paid new. That will give you a good risk/reward outcome.