Need Advice on Multi-channel Amp Choices.

Hi All, basically I am in need of a new Multichannel power amp for my room.

Setup consists of 7.2 configuration

• Arcam Av950 preprocessor
  •  Monitor Audio Platinum Pl300 fronts
  •  Platinum pl350 Center
  • 4 x Gold GXFX Dipole Surrounds
  • Dual Monitor Audio Gold Subwoofers. 

My listening is 50 / 50 HT and Music. Music is 50 percent 2 channel and 50 % multi-channel sacd's.

Room Dimensions are 20ft long and 13ft wide.

Basically I have my eye on a number of used options but no way to Demo them.
  1. Earthquake Cinenova 7 Grande
  2. Audiocontrol Savoy G3
  3. Classe CA-5100

All of the above are pretty close in price, a shade over 2 grand. The Audiocontrol is new, The Earthquake 2 years old and the Classe from 2010. I am struggling to make a choice between them. Anyone got experience with these models, need a push to make a choice, thanks.
melmoth76

@erik_squires - why are you suspicious of multi-channel amps?  Is it because of the shared power supply?

I would probably not look at the AudioControl amp because it's Class H.  They are usually used in pro-audio where it requires a very high power amp with efficient power supply.  I had a Crown Class I amp and it sounded good (although it had it's own tube-like signature), but it did not compare to a normal high-current amp with linear power supply.  Class H is another way to create

In your three choices I would choose the Classe CA-5100 first and I'll tell you why.  I took a quick look at the Arcam AV950 and I would guess it's using an opamp based audio stage with no Class A biasing.  You can look at the pic below, the power supply is very small with tiny heatsinks for voltage regulators.  A processor with a Class A audio stage would use larger heatsinks because it pulls more constant current/power.

http://www.hifitest.de/images/testbilder/thumb_slider/arcam-av950p777-av-kombinationen-29280.jpg

Each channel of the Classe CA-5100 is biased into Class A for the first 30 watts.  This will definitely help give you more body/thickness in the sound from the Arcam.  It may also help give you more solid bass/midbass.  The shared power supply might give you a little more punch on midbass.

The Earthquake would be second choice.  It has shared transformer, but individual capacitor banks for each amp channel (only 22,200 uf per channel).  Nice for channel separation, but for home theater may lack some meat/punch.

If you had a processor that ran in Class A (like a Bryston or Krell), I might recommend the Earthquake.  It's a hard call.

This next suggestion might be an amplifier older than what you are looking for, but the Krell Theater Amplifier Standard was an exceptional multi-channel amp.  The amp output stage is Class AB, but the driver stage is Class A, so you will still get some benefit here, and the power supply is a lot larger than the others.  It may be too old for you (probably about 15 years old).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/krell-Theater-Amplifier-Standard-Multi-Channel-Amplifier-/262651327143?hash=item3d273d32a7:g:mf8AAOSwmfhX7tJb

Multichannel amps are usually compromised some way. From limited power outputs, inter-channel crosstalk, heat generation and disspation and yes, the shared power supplies.

Especially if we are talking 7 channel outputs. Otherwise, you get into really mosntrous amps like the Theta Dreadnaughts. Physically huge beasts.

The NAD with the nCore amplifier modules is one of the very few I would not be worried about. It’s still limited to 180W continuous, but that’s all 7 channels driven, or 1,200 W continuous. That’s a lot of power in a single relatively small 7 channel chassis and I could fit it on one of my existing shelves.  It also does around 600W peaks. That's pretty awesome and useful in a home theater.
Anthem Audio has many options. Very versatile. 
Many have independent power supplies for individual channels. 

N

By the way I’m not a huge NAD fanboy. I really like nCore, and ICEPower though. The NAD DACs I’ve heard were not to my taste, but damn, I like the look and modular concept of their processors. :)

Arcam is also nice, but not a very good track record on upgrades.

Best,

Erik