Vandersteen Quatro CT

This speaker has been available for several months and by some reports is quite special. Anyone have a chance to listen to one? Impressions compared to other Vandy speakers?

Thanks!
128x128karl_desch
Lim, are you talking about the Quatro's being a step up from the Treo's or the 3a's?

I owned Thiel 2.3s for a no. of years and have heard the higher-end Vandersteen models on a no. of occasions (sometime after purchase of my Thiels). My next speakers will be Vandersteen Quatro CT or Treo CT  (although I wish to check out the Golden Ear Triton models for a possible- and substantially more affordable- alternative, and see if they live up to their press). 
Re. Thiels, my model had some problems with edgy high-end (primarily with digital rather than analogue presentation (on my Rega planar 3 and then an older Linn LP12 with benz micro cart), but had all of the positive attributes of the Thiels as well, and were eventually tamed by component isolation, judicious cable selection, and dampening an overly-bright listening room that I had. I used them with an Ayre cd player and Ayre electronics, excellent their own right, but not the absolutely best match for the 2.3s. 
FWIW, I also heard the Thiel 2.4s sometime after I'd bought the 2.3's in a setup nearly identical to mine, and were definitely superior overall and without the edginess. Also, the folks with the (now-defunct) Audio Perfectionist journal, who had impeccable taste in gear and setup, were big fans of the Thiel line (though bigger fans of Vandersteen).
The Thiel are fabulous speakers, but a bit more system-sensitive than the Vandersteens, I'd say. While I've come to prefer the Vandersteen sound, it's easy to understand how many people would love their Thiels.

@aubullience thanks much for sharing your experience.  I concur, my next speakers will be Vandersteen as well.  I've never heard such an open sound that sounds so real and emotionally engaging.  I messed up by selling my Vandersteen 2ce Sig II.  I plan on getting them again or the Treos.  By the way I used to have Thiel CS 2 2.  It must be the first order and time aligned design!?  

As as a real good guy on this site has said, "you're chasing your tail".  I intend on listening to him once and for all!  Best.....

I agree on chasing our tails.  I did that for years and years as I learned.  The more I learned, the less I chased. When I decided to change my system a few years ago, after keeping it in tact for well over 18 years, I knew I wanted to buy a system that worked best together.  I learned that not all outstanding components work good together.  

I decided to find a dealer I trusted as they know what products go best together.  That's when I met johnny Rutan at Audio Connection.  He too said to not chase my tail in my quest to upgrade.  I knew that I was limited on budget to what I was selling off (I had a lot of old systems that I have moved. I only have a few pieces left, lol).  I didn't want to listen to the Vandersteen's. I had a couple of listening sessions with them in the 90's at two dealers who didn't have them set up properly at all and weren't interested in moving them.

He just requested that I sit with my late father and brother (we were in NJ for a family wedding) and just listen to the Treo's.  I was hooked within minutes.  I was in shock at how great they sounded in his open front room.  I could only imagine how good they'd sound at home.  He ran Ayre amps and source.  No special power cords or anything else.  Then I auditioned the Quatro and after that I went down to his store again (nearly 3 hour drive) and auditioned the 5CT and 7's. Wow, was I hooked on the Vandersteen sound. Mind you, at this point I was out listening to Wilsons, Magicos, Maggies, ML, Salks, AudioZen, Focal....you get it. I was out trying to figure out WHAT price point would give me the best bang for the buck.  I didn't like much of what I was hearing.  There were a couple of speaker lines that I really liked a lot and Ayre gear was prevalent at so many shops or friends homes.  I noticed that the Vandersteen Treo and Quatro's sounded best for me.  I knew I eventually wanted a pair of Quatro's, but I didn't want to wait to get them, so I sold off some gear and bought the Treo's.  I ended up with the Ayre AX-5/Twenty as well as the Ayre QX-5/Twenty and a rebuilt Mac Mini server with Paul Hynes power supply that I'm selling as I want the top of the line Melco.  

As I have stated, I'm selling my cherry Treo's and once sold, I'll bring in the Quatro's.  If they don't sell, I won't be upset as i love the sound of the Treo's.  

The reason for the long post is because I had the time, but the point is, it's best for many of us to set a price point and figure out where we want to be in a year or so.  Then we can take our time to get there.  I personally love working through a dealer I trust. I have a few whom I like, but I go to Johnny over local dealers because he understands my needs and he won't let me go over budget.