Looking for a solid state preamp for Krell fpb 250m monoblocks

I have a pair of Thiel CS 6's I just purchased, along with Krell FPB 300m monos. I'm reading that Krells aren't too kind with tubes, will clear that up with the guys a Krell, but am interested in suggestions for a preamp in the under 4K range.

michaeljbrown
All I've used are tube preamps with all my Krell amps over the years, starting with KSA100s and never a problem.    The old Krells are a bit bright and hard so always prefer some tubes in the chain.

In your budget, checkout an used ModWright LS 36.5 DM.
I recommend a tube preamp as well, I think if your not careful you could be adding a lot of coolness and edginess to your system. A tube based pre would add much needed warmth and the Modwright is a good choice but I would also check out a Manley Jumbo Shrimp, or a Doge 8 clarity, or Dehavilland Ultraverve 3 or a Audio Research or Conrad Johnson. All well within your budget.

Matt M
Michael,
A friend of my uses the Krell FPB 600 mono blocks to drive his Rockport Altair speakers.  His preamplifier is the Absolare Passion and it is a superb sounding match.  I strongly disagree with those who told you that tubes and Krell don't mix. 4K dollars can get you a very good used tube preamplifier. 
Good luck, 
Charles, 
OK, I called Patrick at Krell and he told me how to render the Krell FPB 250m safe for Tube preamps, and sent me a diagram. 
Never mind! I'm now a convert to tube preamps!
Thanks guys.

Michael,

Do you have the FPB 250M monos or 300 Stereo amp? I couldn't tell because there's conflicting statements in your opening question. I own the FPB 250M monos and am interested in hearing which tube preamp you decide on.

Gary